Say hello to Lady Vulcatrix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staygold

I am a new mommy of an approximately 15 month old beaded dragon. I have had her about a month now. Her name is Lady Vulcatrix or Lady V for short. She is a very good girl (Other than pooping on her hammock today, lol) She likes basking on her branch and sleeping on her hammock with her nose against the glass, she stands in her salad with her belly against the glass (most of the time glass surfing which I am trying to figure out why), she seems to love getting carried around the house upstairs and looking out the windows (she can't run around upstairs cuz of hiding places and my cat), she also loves running around my livingroom downstairs, always ending up laying against the wall behind the treadmill. She is the first non mammal I have ever owned and am quickly learning the ins and out. I have been researching since I got her and stillI have lots of questions so will probably be writing a few posts asking for help on some issues I still find unclear due to contradictions In my research. Anyway, enough of my babbling...drum roll please...I bring you Lady Vulcatrix!
109751-2146922052.jpg
sorry about the poop in the pic, it's the only picture of her I have uploaded.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Welcome to the forum--- not sure exactly for the glass surfing but we can start w/ the tank what size is it? Next the lighting what are you using for a basking bulb and how are you taking the temps? NO stick ons they are inaccurate -- and another important thing what are you using for a UVB ? Please no coils
Karrie

Hello Lady Vulcatrix! I am also a sort of new owner, but will be happy to help if you have any problems! My bearded dragon has that same climbing tree as you, and he loves it so much lol.

adambeck

Hatchling Member
Hello, Lady Vulcatrix! Fifa (our bearded dragon) says hi! We love your name too. It's so fancy!
Welcome to the forum!

Staygold

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2dqrkg3k said:
Welcome to the forum--- not sure exactly for the glass surfing but we can start w/ the tank what size is it? Next the lighting what are you using for a basking bulb and how are you taking the temps? NO stick ons they are inaccurate -- and another important thing what are you using for a UVB ? Please no coils
Karrie
Thank you for helping me and Lady Vulcatrix. I am sorry for the slow response but I dont know how to turn on notifications for this site.
It is 36x17x18. After research I think I have a Petsmart 40 gallon breeder starter kit.
The other answers to your questions have been changing since I got her.
I got her given to me with the "proper" set up, and was told feed her kale , veggies and mealworms (yes, her diet has changed... see bottom), keep temps at 100, and humidity in the blue on the dial (40 to 60 ) ( which after research is wrong, apparently I need between 20 to 40 humidity?, lots of different opinions out there). I currently have humidity at 38 in cool shady spot and about 18 at bask spot, when I spray water it goes up to 20 then drops back down quickly). Also after research I learned Uvb bulbs need replacing before burn out, so I looked at the bulbs she had to look up a life expectancy and they were one 75 watt thrive desert bask uva bulb (i am assuming because it looks the same as the other burnt out thrive bulb in the box that came with her) and the other bulb was "?" The other bulb has no markings, it kinda looks like a flood light. (The lights are in a double dome fixture ). So I just (today, and I feel bad for not checking sooner) switched her to one of her working spare bulbs she came with (reptisun mercury vapor 100 watt) and purchased 2 xThrive desert tube light bulbs from petsmart ( are these any good, can't find reviews anywhere), so as of right now she has thrive 75 watt bask (closer to mid tank than uvb) and reptisun mercury vapor (in basking corner). I know coil isn't good but what about the reptisun 10.0 compact (kinda shaped like an elongated U?)

She also has a CHE (orderd a thermostat and now its connected at night for 69 degree farenheit and the metal probe is mid tank at bottom (inside her tree) I will try to remember to post pic or her room (enclosure).

As far as temps go, she came with 2x dial (anagram?) Thermo/hygrometers. I ordered 4x veanic square digital therm/hygr (dig and dial had 20 degree farenheit difference with dial being lower so I hope I didn't hurt her before the digital ones arrived cuz I was trying to get her to 100 -105 degree farenheit on the dial ones and they kept going back down to about 80 -90 (on the digi was 100 when dial was at 80) I was going to order round stick ons cuz I think the square could hurt her if she rubs on them (i haven't attached them yet) I am waiting for a reptisun dig temp "gun". Do I need the probe ones with the temp gun? And if yes is velcro or a glue gun safe to use to secure all the wires so they dont hang everywhere?

Staygold

Original Poster
KarrieRee":b596pedj said:
Karrie

KarrieRee":b596pedj said:
Karrie
Continued because I think my answer was too long...

As far as the "feed her kale,veggies and mealworms " I got told to do., which I have found out is bad. I have drastically decreased her kale (tried taking it out but she won't eat her veggies, digs through her salad for the greens. (Very limited staple selection of greens, thinking about growing my own. All I can find is arugala and escarole in pre made salad (if I am picking out the right ones). Got some carrots with greens and cilantro today, shall see if she eats them tomorrow. Mealworms I have learnt are bad. For the First while she got mealworms, once found out is bad, (super worms were out of stock until today) I got her silk worms and hornworms, tried Phoenix and a few wax. Also tried crickets in the last few days but I must be doing something wrong, first attempt was tweezers and it escaped in the cage (couldn't find it for a couple days. ) seconds was her bath bin inside the bathtub and she stood still while they jumped on her (I freaked, got them off her and put the crickets back in their cage,, and I haven't tried again. )
I hope I answered everything, if you have ANY suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Totally off topic question if you have the time, I have found 2 probiotic powders for dragons, one with color and one with prebiotics, which should I get? If I need a different post for this just let me know.
Again... THANK YOU!!

Staygold

Original Poster
bossdragon":1s8etl5z said:
Hello Lady Vulcatrix! I am also a sort of new owner, but will be happy to help if you have any problems! My bearded dragon has that same climbing tree as you, and he loves it so much lol.
Hello. I welcome any help with her, I have never owned a non mammal before, and am finding it a huge learning process. She was on the tree all the time until I changed her room around to put her hide under the shady spot. She might be upset with me for that. Apparently they don't like change.

Staygold

Original Poster
adambeck":r2tx3nop said:
Hello, Lady Vulcatrix! Fifa (our bearded dragon) says hi! We love your name too. It's so fancy!
Welcome to the forum!
Hello Fifa, Thank you. I agree "fancy", I didn't name her and was told I could change her name but I really liked it,and also...what if she already recognizes it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so for the UVB I recommend getting a 24" fixture w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 these are the best on the market at this time --- depending on the screen it can sit on top of the tank but we need to know what kind of screen first --- fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type -- if you want post a pic of it and we can let you know - placement and distance is crucial here -- the basking bulb should be a bright white basking bulb that keeps temps 95-110 taken w/a digital probe thermometer --- place on basking spot where she sits for 10 minutes or so get the temp-- those 2 things are the most important thing in that tank --- here is a website for nutrition kale is a great staple feeder http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Humidity can be 30-40% in the tank you do not want it higher than 70% -- place hygrometer in the back middle wall of tank --
You need a staple feeder insect like crickets dubia roaches or silk worms -- I recommend dubias they are most nutritious and easier to keep -- 10 gallon aquarium feed dubia food a long w / carrots for hydration -- dont feed the dragon carrots too tho too much Vit A-- crickets are stinky and make too much noise-- and they are escape artist -- start there and if you have more questions please ask
Karrie

Staygold

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3n4wqs1u said:
Ok so for the UVB I recommend getting a 24" fixture w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 these are the best on the market at this time --- depending on the screen it can sit on top of the tank but we need to know what kind of screen first --- fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type -- if you want post a pic of it and we can let you know - placement and distance is crucial here -- the basking bulb should be a bright white basking bulb that keeps temps 95-110 taken w/a digital probe thermometer --- place on basking spot where she sits for 10 minutes or so get the temp-- those 2 things are the most important thing in that tank --- here is a website for nutrition kale is a great staple feeder http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Humidity can be 30-40% in the tank you do not want it higher than 70% -- place hygrometer in the back middle wall of tank --
You need a staple feeder insect like crickets dubia roaches or silk worms -- I recommend dubias they are most nutritious and easier to keep -- 10 gallon aquarium feed dubia food a long w / carrots for hydration -- dont feed the dragon carrots too tho too much Vit A-- crickets are stinky and make too much noise-- and they are escape artist -- start there and if you have more questions please ask
Karrie

I can not really afford a new fixture, I have an 18 inch under counter white fixture, will this one work?

Screen...
109751-7471027472.jpg

I have heard kale is a calcium blocker? Not true?

Dubois roaches are illegal in Canada, I can only get them freeze dried. Are horn worms a staple? I am thinking about breeding supereworms (because the stores keep being out of stock) and silk or hornworms (except I will have to figure out how to do the moth thing) and I live downstairs which is pretty chilly.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The under counter fixture would work but you MUST put a reflector on it --- you can make it out of tin foil use this as a guide
Cut a piece of aluminum foil to the length of your bulb, minus a half inch or so. Doesn't need to be precise. But do pay attention to the shinny side vs. the dull side. We want the shinny side to be the reflective surface we work with.
[Click image to enlarge]
Next simply fold it in half. Try to keep everything as smooth as possible. The smoother the better.
[Click image to enlarge]
Fold in half 1 more time and you are basically done.
[Click image to enlarge You can put a slight curve in it to make it easier to place in between your bulb and fixture like this:
[Click image to enlarge]
here is the website for pics you will need to scroll down viewtopic.php?f=34&t=252370
You can also look at your Petsmarts or Petco for a Zilla 18" fixture and use that w/ the Reptisun 10.0 bulb T 8---
As far as horn worms being a staple feeder not really - you can get insects on line try this website
www.thewormlady.ca/ or this one www.supercricket.ca/
https://portcreditpets.com/
Visit those websites and see what you can find
Kale is a great staple feeder --- it has more nutrients than the collard turnip and mustard greens
Let me know what your using for a UVB so I can help you get it placed in the tank for correct UVB rays
Karrie

Staygold

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3o8x6lzt said:
The under counter fixture would work but you MUST put a reflector on it ---
Let me know what your using for a UVB so I can help you get it placed in the tank for correct UVB rays
Karrie
Okay. First thank you for the bug links, I have been looking for a place to order without obscene shipping costs., I will check them out after I get all the heating/lighting down. (I have a reptile store near my house, but would prefer better prices if possible because of my fixed income)
I'm debating on breaking down and buying a new fixture. Except I can't figure out which one to get. She is in a 40-gallon breeder tank and she has a branch and hammocks, the highest point of her branch is 6 in under the lid, I could turn it so the low part would b 7" below.. the UVB bulb would be sitting on top of her lid. I have found a sunblaster with reflector for not too bad of a price, but I can't tell if the light bulb is a UVB bulb or not. I don't see any UVB specifications with the write-up.
Should i get an 18" or 24"? I also don't know if I should get a T5 or a T8. And also don't know if I should get a 5.0 or 10.0.

Ok, so kale is back on the menu,t that's good cut its easier to find right now..

Right now she has a zoo med powersun Uv 100 watt, sitting on her lid, should I change her to the calcium without D3 while she has this bulb?
I am also going to order a probe hygrometer, is a metal or plastic probe better?
If I am asking too many questions, just let me know and I will make a different post for that topic.
Thank you Soooo much for all you help.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Get a 24" fixture Zoo Med w/ a 10.0 T 5 bulb- it can be placed inside the tank w/ a distance of 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor piece -- yes give her the Calcium D3 5 x per week once per feeding w/ Vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week once per feeding dusted on the insects --
Karrie

Staygold

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1dbayxlj said:
Get a 24" fixture Zoo Med w/ a 10.0 T 5 bulb- it can be placed inside the tank w/ a distance of 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor piece -- yes give her the Calcium D3 5 x per week once per feeding w/ Vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week once per feeding dusted on the insects --
Karrie

Hi, thank you for answering and all your help.

Her light will most likely be put on top of her room because I don't want her to be able to burn herself when she stands on her back legs on her hammock, is the 12- 15in height still the same through her mesh top. There is a picture of the top in a message above.
Okay, so even though she's on a mercury vapour bulb right now still give her calcium with D3.
I thought calcium was three times a week, multivitamins with carotene was two times a week and probiotics was one time a week. Which dusting should I add the probiotics to when I do 5 days a week calcium and two days a week multivitamin?
And one more question, some days she doesn't eat a lot of bugs or even eat bugs every day for that matter. She won't take water out of her dropper every day, and sometimes it looks like she hardly touched your salad oh, but I do make her pretty big salad. So should I be mixing the powder with water in a syringe and forcing it on her somehow?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The screen mesh is pretty tight I would put the UVB inside the tank - just to be on the safe side 12-15 inches directly above basking decor- you want to dust her insects 5 x per week w / calcium D3 once per feeding and vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week once per week --- no probiotics unless shes sick and on meds -- if shes eating thats good --- she may be off on some days -- she may still be going thru relocation stress--- just keep offering her food and if shes eating salads thats great rinse before serving and she will get hydration thru them and gut loaded insects as well --
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom