Coconut Fiber

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSpike

I feel like I keep "upgrading" Spike's tank and then I come to find out it's not a good thing. Could someone please explain what the issue is with the coconut fiber substrate? It's not loose, but woven tightly. He has a cozy (cut up) fleece sweatshirt in his bed and basks on his hammock or rock. He does not lay directly on the substrate. I also don't let crickets or roaches loose in the tank.
Thanks!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The concern with loose fiber is that it can block up their digestive tract if they eat it. With a tightly woven fiber you would run much less risk of this happening. If it's of a similar texture/consistency to reptile carpet, then the issue would be keeping it clean and sanitary. If poop or food or moisture gets into it, then it will need to be washed thoroughly in order to prevent bacterial growth. I used to run the reptile carpet through the washing machine then let it air dry. This worked fairly well for cleaning it, but it put the fairly expensive carpet into tatters after a few washes. I'm not sure if this is doable with coconut fiber or not.

MrSpike

Original Poster
CooperDragon":39ve7eih said:
oooh! 120g will be nice to have =)

Do you think I should move him in there right away?
He's 3 1/2 months old. He's in a 20 gallon now.
Thank you!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You can move him right away if you want too- as far as substrate you can get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner-- or slated ceramic tile cut to the size of the tank w/ a tile cutter- both from your local home improvement store

@ Cooper dragon what is the difference between coconut fiber and coconut soil - I was under the impression coconut was toxic to dragons--- did I hear wrong?
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah you can move him whenever you'd like. Keep in mind that the lighting requirements for the larger enclosure are different. You may need a stronger basking light to achieve the proper temperature gradient, and you may need a stronger UVB light than you'd need in a 20g since the distance from the bulb to the basking area is likely to be further.

Coconut fiber can have different consistencies from ground up like soil to long strands to a woven mat. As far as I know, it isn't toxic. I haven't heard that anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom