1st timer- Tank size question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSpike

Hi there! We got our boy Mr. Spike 6 days ago. He's almost 4 months old and we're in love! I bought a 20 gallon tank as the pet shop worker said that was fine to start with. But now that I'm researching more, I'm wondering how long this size will even last. So my question is, when should I realistically plan to upgrade? And to what size tank? I just want to make sure he's got the best life possible. Thanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Now-- you want a tank that is 75-120 gallon-- one w/ front doors preferably- what are you using for a UVB-- if it's a coil I highly recommend you switch to a long tube fixture-- a 24" fixture for a 40+ gallon-- one that has a reflector-- like a zoo med and a Reptisun bulb T 5-- if you have anymore questions please ask
Karrie

MrSpike

Original Poster
Thank you! So I've been reading on here about the UVB light. I bought the starter Kit. Thank goodness I kept the boxes of everything. I just saw that I got a 5.0 UVB "compact" bulb. (Reptisun) I see that they make 10.0 in the "compact" size. What are your thoughts? Get that since I already have the compact hood? ....or just go out and get the 18" (or longer?) and a new hood too. I will have to save for a larger terranium. Plan to upgrade to a large one within 2 months! :D

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I would upgrade that UVB NOW-- it's not doing much good-- I would order what I recommended and just use the bulb that's come w/ the fixture-- it's equivalent to a T 8 - the compact bulb is a terrible bulb--- he won't show signs till he's sick and you don't want that -- you have caught it early -- dragons will hide their illness till they can no longer-
Karrie

MrSpike

Original Poster
Thank you! I will have to save for a 75+ gallon. Will the larger tube be ok for less than 2 months in the 20 gallon?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Take the fixture and put it width wise-- on one end of the tank - take your screen and butt it up.to the UVB place you baking bulb on the screen next to it - place your decor piece directly under the UVB approx 6-8 inches -- he needs the UVB 2 months is too long to go w/ out proper UVB-- make sure your taking basking temps w/ a digital probe thermometer - stick ons are inaccurate---- the 2 most important things in that tank are UVB and basking temps
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom