How am I doing

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaydenBramlett

I just got a beardy for my birthday he's 3 months old. I am watching him closely but not trying to stress him so I haven't handled him yet. His name is Cheeto and I've had him for 3 days and he's using the bathroom and I have him in a 40 gallon that is blocked off half way. when can I open his full cage and i have a basking and uvb bulb. I just sexed her and she's a girl!!!!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welcome to the forum! It sounds like you're off to a good start with her. If you'd like to post photos of her and your setup, you can upload them here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and then post them to your thread using the XIMG button when you reply. If you'd like us to review your setup and help make sure everything is just right for Cheeto, we'd be glad to do so. Feel free to ask any questions you have about her care and share stories about her adventures so far =)

HaydenBramlett

Original Poster
Unfortunately i don't want to take pictures because i'm worried it'll stress her out. Also i have a reptisun 10.0 uvb bulb and i forget the type of basking bulb, with a dual dome combo. Is this okay? currently i have space for 1 hide :( but it is a decently sized one. what do you recommend for food? Currently i am feeding dead :( mealworms dusted with calcium powder but i want live ones. What are your thoughts or questions

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
No photos is fine. Feel free to post them in the future if you wish to though.

Since the UVB bulb is in a dual fixture, it is a compact style which I don't recommend since they don't really produce a wide enough output and are often not strong enough. I can help you find a good match though. How far is it from the top of the enclosure to the main basking area? I'm guessing the 40g is about 36''x18''x18'' or so?

Your basking bulb matters less. I just use a halogen bulb for mine. As long as it is bright, produces white light (not with a blueish or other tint) and is producing surface temperature readings that are adequate, it's OK. It's best to use a digital thermometer with a probe sitting right on the basking surface to read the temps. You can use a second one to measure the surface temp on the cool side if you wish. They are pretty cheap to get, you don't need anything reptile specific. Something like this will do https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017N8W90/ You want the basking surface to be in the general range of about 100-110 with areas around that in the 90s and about 75-80(ish) on the other end of the tank.

1 hide is fine. You don't need the enclosure to be too busy with furniture.

I would avoid offering dead worms. A little guy might really enjoy some black solider fly larvae. Give a pack of these a try and see how they go over. https://symtonbsf.com/collections/bsf-feeders/products/medium-feeding-grade-grubs Other good options are silk worms, live small crickets, live small roaches of various types (dubia and discoid are common), or occasional live mealworms or small morio worms.

HaydenBramlett

Original Poster
Thank you for the black shoulder fly larva I’m in the car currently but I’ll look when I get home and try to convince my parents. I will also try to get a better uvb set up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom