My New Friend Gus

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my wife and I recently bought a little bearded dragon from an exotic pet store near us. I’ve enjoyed reptiles all my life and owned quite a few as pets over the years(first beardie though). My wife was a little hesitant when we first brought this little guy home. She works from home and spends most of the day around 5 ft from Gus’ tank. Over the past two weeks Gus has grown on my wife to the point where we argue over who gets to hand feed him his roaches!

We have done everything we can to provide Gus with an amazing home. His tank is currently 40gal but we are waiting on 120gal Zen Habitat. We have a 36in T5 UVB and a 150 watt heating bulb. Gus enjoys mostly Dubias, but will also eat BSFL and occasionally he’ll eat his a piece or two from his salad. Gus does not like bathes but does enjoy being out of his tank. Lately he will glass surf just to get our attention and be taken out of his tank. Every night a few minutes before Gus’ lights go out we will see him climb up into his foliage where he spends the night. I know Gus is still small (7.5in and 15g) and young (2 months) but everyday is a new adventure with him.
109547-3185242512.jpg
109547-2318400112.jpg
109547-7989798044.jpg
109547-2850000835.jpg
109547-4887723476.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Welcome to the forum Gus
If your screen is a fine mesh I would get the UVB into the tank -- the screen will block 30% of the rays -- although T 5's are strong the screen of fine mesh will block those rays --- distance needs to be 12-15 inches directly above basking decor --- if you need help or have any questions please ask
Karrie

Shadowablaze

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice Karrie. Currently our UVB fixture is 36 inches so it’s not going to fit inside the tank until my Zen Habitats one arrivals later this month. Gus normally moves from his basking rock to his hammock and the hammock is only 5-6 inches directly below his UVB light. The current tank has a two part mesh lid on top so it would be possible for me to remove the back half that the UVB sits above if that would help him.

Gus recently started medication for Coccidia and just got done his two doses of Ponazuril and still has one of his two doses of Metronidazole to take. His appetite has increased since I got him on the medication and today I caught him eating dandelion greens from his salad multiple times!

He has been glass surfing a little bit during the day and I’m not sure if it’s because he can see his reflection in the sides of tank (don’t have a background there) or he just wants to get out. Any advice on why he might be doing this? He doesn’t seem stressed often.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
He probably just wants out and I would recommend not letting him out-- he needs to acclimate to his tank and surroundings -- its good hes eating w / the meds hes on -- most do not! I cant believe hes got parasites already -- I am wondering how they get them so young? Where did you get Gus from? If your feeding crickets I would recommend you get him on dubia roaches -- they are way better for a staple feeder and if hes got parasites already the crickets arent really going to help w/ that if that is what hes eating --
Karrie

Shadowablaze

Original Poster
I got Gus from an exotic pet store near me. The tank seemed clean and they all seemed healthy but there were around 10 small dragons in the tank so it’s possible he got them before I purchased him. I also did feed him crickets for the first week or so of owning him. I quickly switched over to Dubias and BSFL. I also have some small superworms and waxworms coming soon.

My wife and I will be gone a bit today so he won’t be convincing anyone to let him out with his glass surfing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom