New member and new beardie mommy

If you just got a new beardie, introduce your beardie to the community! If you're a newcomer, say hello and introduce yourself.

New member and new beardie mommy

Postby Drakothegreat » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:20 pm

[Click image to enlarge]
I just rescued a 12 year old bearded dragon named Drako. He is very thin, although he has put on weight since I've had him. He is active and eats his greens and live food I offer.

I am a first time beardie owner, but with your help I'm sure I can give him the best rest of his life possible. I don't know how to put images in this post, but I will tray and add pics after I submit.
[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]
Last edited by Drakothegreat on Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drakothegreat
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: New member and new beardie mommy

Postby Drakothegreat » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:21 pm

[Click image to enlarge]
[Click image to enlarge]
[Click image to enlarge]
Drakothegreat
Newbie Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:36 pm

Welcome and its good you have rescued him --- what basking bulb are you using? Is it a All in One w/ basking and UVB ? What are the basking temps and how are you taking them? NO stickons they are inaccurate -- you need a digital probe thermometer and temps should be 95-110 for a adult -- it looks like he needs a hide -- also here is a website for nutrition
ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
What are you feeding for a staple insect?
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko

Postby Drakothegreat » Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:52 pm

Thank you Karrie. I am using a 75 watt bulb for basking, we live in Florida and my house is set to 78, for uvb I'm using Repti10 the rock in the middle is technically a hide, although I do want to get a bigger 1, I figured he would sit on top to get closer to UVB which he does. I am feeding him crickets, I wanted to get some dubia roaches but apparently in Florida I can go to jail for even having them. On Thursday I was planning on giving him a horn worm or 2 with some crickets. For veggies I give him collard greens, mustard greens, a bit of parsley, and on occasion some fruit. He loves Mangoes, and blueberries. I do need to buy a probe temp soon, but I have seen him gape Soni assume he is getting a good amount of heat for him. I also have an area for him on my screened in back porch so he can soak up some real sun.
Drakothegreat
Newbie Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:48 pm

You need to get your digital probe ASAP and the UVB is a coil or a tube? If its a tube where in the tank I cant see it and what bulb T 5 or a T 8
you can get discoid roaches in Fl
https://www.thecritterdepot.com/product ... s-for-sale
The UVB is extremely important
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko

Postby Drakothegreat » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:56 pm

KarrieRee wrote:You need to get your digital probe ASAP and the UVB is a coil or a tube? If its a tube where in the tank I cant see it and what bulb T 5 or a T 8
you can get discoid roaches in Fl
https://www.thecritterdepot.com/product ... s-for-sale
The UVB is extremely important
Karrie

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

I am planning on getting the probe with the horn worms on Thursday.
Drakothegreat
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby KarrieRee » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:27 pm

Ok please get rid of the coil UVB they are inadequate and do no good --- you need to get this ASAP
https://www.reptilesupplyco.com/wholesa ... o-med.html this comes w/ a 5.0 bulb hang on to it its considered a T 8 it can be used for a back up but the distance and placement would be different I want you to order this bulb
https://www.reptilesupplyco.com/t5-uvb- ... o-med.html these are the best on the market at this time
I would call this place find out how soon they are shipping out they are out of CA
916-226-4089 you can try looking around for what I have recommended most pet stores do not carry the length of the fixture or the T 5's -- your screen is a wide holed screen so the T 5 can sit on top when you get it ordered or have it please let me know so we can help you get it placed -- but you need to do this ASAP it is very important -- let me know if you order from here and shipping time please
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko

Postby Drakothegreat » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:36 pm

KarrieRee wrote:Ok please get rid of the coil UVB they are inadequate and do no good --- you need to get this ASAP
https://www.reptilesupplyco.com/wholesa ... o-med.html this comes w/ a 5.0 bulb hang on to it its considered a T 8 it can be used for a back up but the distance and placement would be different I want you to order this bulb
https://www.reptilesupplyco.com/t5-uvb- ... o-med.html these are the best on the market at this time
I would call this place find out how soon they are shipping out they are out of CA
916-226-4089 you can try looking around for what I have recommended most pet stores do not carry the length of the fixture or the T 5's -- your screen is a wide holed screen so the T 5 can sit on top when you get it ordered or have it please let me know so we can help you get it placed -- but you need to do this ASAP it is very important -- let me know if you order from here and shipping time please
Karrie

Should I stop using the other one? Is he better off with nothing? I have seen what you're talking about at the same place that sold me this one, but I won't be able to pick it up for a few days at least.
Drakothegreat
Newbie Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:46 pm

He will be fine for a few days if you want take him outside for some good UVB- he can sit on you if your temps are hot warmer than 65 15 minutes or longer if you want to use a plastic tote NO GLASS you can place him in direct sunlight/ partial shade make sure you supervise him - I would shut the coil off--
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko

Postby Drakothegreat » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:50 pm

KarrieRee wrote:He will be fine for a few days if you want take him outside for some good UVB- he can sit on you if your temps are hot warmer than 65 15 minutes or longer if you want to use a plastic tote NO GLASS you can place him in direct sunlight/ partial shade make sure you supervise him - I would shut the coil off--
Karrie

Ok thanks I'll do that. I have a pop up play pen for him when we are outside. For the next few days I'll sit outside with him for a few then let him hang out in there. It's hot here, 85 is the temp but it feels like 90's. I keep the play pen on my screened in back porch, he is safe in there.
Drakothegreat
Newbie Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:58 pm

Yes but he needs direct sunlight
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Introductions