(Move it back to Introductions) Hello fellow dragon owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a beardie about three weeks ago (August 26th) and I am not an expert at knowing everything to help him.
My bearded dragon’s name is Dio or in other words Dionysus. I got him from Kijiji, his store of origin is PetSmart, and he is a year and a half old. He is very tame but for some reason despite having everything perfect; he is not doing much to care for himself. I was inspired to get a bearded dragon after interacting with my cousin’s beardie.
As for me, I am a artist, gamer, animator, and aquarium hobbyist. There are some other things but I can’t quite remember off the top of my head.

I look forward to getting help from the community.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Welcome dio-- please go over your tank set up lighting uvb brand and bulb coil or tube where in the tank top of screen or inside the tank basking temps how are you taking them no stick ons
Karrie

NightRaysMoon

Original Poster
KarrieRee":34c13fhb said:
Welcome dio-- please go over your tank set up lighting uvb brand and bulb coil or tube where in the tank top of screen or inside the tank basking temps how are you taking them no stick ons
Karrie
Do you mean put the info in my profile or introduction? Dio is my bearded dragon, you can refer to me (the owner) as NightRays.

NightRaysMoon

Original Poster
I use a 75w UVB, I believe a 75w basking light, a second basking light (no clue what it is), a 50w infrared/nighttime light (I will be switching it with a new 75w later today) and I think 75w infrared/nighttime light. All but the 75w basking light sit on the mesh lid
The temperature average is roughly 23 to 30 degrees Celsius. Humidity average is 13-40%, since my province is so dry. 40 gallon enclosure with sand mats, it used have vinyl flooring. Heating rock and plenty of other enrichment in his enclosure. He is still fussy to eat and drink on his own, and currently transitioning off of mealworms. He won’t respond to offered food unless I tuck it between his lips (he is not food motivated). He dislikes crickets.
I give him water from a dish although there are signs that his previous owner misted. Our water is hard and leaves calcium stains. According to his original owner, he started getting a little MBD in his back feet when he was at PetSmart.
He loves chilling with me, whether I am concentrated on a computer game or look on Amazon for a new hide. I did have to trim his nails the next day after getting him. They were so long and sharp that he pierced skin. He has only had two baths since I got him.
I think that covers all of his care.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so the nighttime colored light please get rid of it -- colored bulbs can/ and will cause long term eye damage - the UVB if its a coil and not a long tube please get rid of that as well -- you need this
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html a 24" for a 40+ gallon tank this fixture comes w/ a 5.0 bulb hang on to it can be used as a back up distance in tank would be different tho from the 10.0
you need this bulb
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-t5.html
these are the best on the market as of now -
Basking temps should be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO stick ons they are inaccurate
and need to be 95-110 for a juvie / adult dragon babies need 105-110
If you need extra heat in the tank please get a CHE ceramic heat emitter they produce heat NO light - if your tank is dropping to 65 or below at nite you will need one dragons like cool and dark
Please get rid of the heat rock dragons heat from the back not the stomachs -- and they can cause burns we have seen a few on this forum
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 12-15 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 6-8 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays--
viewtopic.php?p=1945606
this was posted by one of our moderators please read about UVB's etc
You will continue to have issues w/ the eyes - and possibly lead to infection but you haft to get rid of the cause

Karrie

NightRaysMoon

Original Poster
KarrieRee":38vdd8de said:
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 12-15 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 6-8 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays--
viewtopic.php?p=1945606
this was posted by one of our moderators please read about UVB's etc
You will continue to have issues w/ the eyes - and possibly lead to infection but you haft to get rid of the cause

Karrie
Dude, quit bugging me; I joined to get help not to be bombarded by a Stan. I’m sticking with Flukers, Zoo Med, and Exo-Terra. Your opinion is your opinion, but that does not mean you can shove it in my face. I live for controversy.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welcome to the forum! If you have any questions, please let us know. It may take a bit of time for Dio to settle into his new home and get a routine going. He'll likely start eating on his own when he is hungry enough. Sometimes wiggling the food and hand feeding a bit helps to get their attention. I've had good luck cutting yellow squash and zucchini (any kind of squash really) into small worm shapes and offering them that way.

If you'd like to share pictures of him on the forum, you can upload them here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and then post them to the thread using the XIMG button when you create a reply.

Draven88

Hatchling Member
[/quote]
Dude, quit bugging me; I joined to get help not to be bombarded by a Stan. I’m sticking with Flukers, Zoo Med, and Exo-Terra. Your opinion is your opinion, but that does not mean you can shove it in my face. I live for controversy.[/quote]

I'm sorry that you feel you are being bugged, as you said you did come here for help. Brands aside the lighting recommendations are not based on opinion. There has been testing of UVB bulbs and coil bulbs do not provide enough UVB which will cause MBD or make it worse if it has started. And ceramic heat emitters are recommended as colored/infrared nighttime bulbs have been proven to cause eye issues. As far as the heat rocks some use them some don't, but on the chance they malfunction they can cause serious burns and beardies heat from their back.

If you don't want to use the information, well nobody can force you but we will always strive to provide the best information/advice.

NightRaysMoon

Original Poster
Why was it moved? This was an introduction until someone wanted my husbandry and took my other thread’s topic to this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom