Greetings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cazz

Greetings all. I'm new to your forum. I owned a beardie back in the 90s and have recently decided to get myself set up to receive one soon. Back when I raised my beardie there was very look little info available and the internet was very young. My local herp shop was my only trusted source. I'm in the process of setting up a dubia colony and gathering my other supplies. I look forward to sharing experiences with you all.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Welcome back --- if you have questions about lighting etc please ask -- that has change a lot - I can tell you now coil UVB's are not good and not recommended
Karrie

Cazz

Original Poster
Thank you. I used t5 fixtures for uv with a ceramic heater back then. I'm looking at some of uv spot lights that I've found on Amazon. Have you had any experience with these.

Here's the description copied from amazon

The LED UVA+ UVB lamps are the best products on the market, perfectly solving the various drawbacks of other UV products.
Full-spectrum LED bulbs with low power consumption, long life, high security and other advantages, and have UVB5.0 and UVB10.0 options.
The LED UVB 10.0 bulb actually consumes only 3 watts of power, but it has the same effect as the 26 watts on the market and has a three-fold increase in life.
Works for turtles, bearded dragons, lizards, reptiles, birds, terrariums, and aviaries.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No idea but the 26 watts scare me--- that on the market is a coil-- your better off staying w/ the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb or Arcadia's 12% bulb--- they are the best on the market at this time--
Karrie

Cazz

Original Poster
Thank you. These are LED. Ive read to stay away from coil uv bulbs but I can't find the reason why

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 12-15 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays--
here is info in the 26 watt bulb
The 26w version of the UVB150 is similar in output to a T8 tube when using a reflector. The beam isn't as wide (depending on the length of the tube) but the output strength is very similar. If it was sitting about 6-8'' above the main basking area then it was likely providing adequate UVB. It's the lower wattage (13w) versions that cause concern since they aren't strong enough to provide adequate UVB at a safe distance
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom