Introducing my soon to arrive beardie Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlmostEpic89

Good afternoon and hello! I'm here to introduce my soon to arrive new buddy Barry. He'll be arriving here in Oregon on Tuesday 7/7/20 from Trinity Dragons in California.

Xx6FAtb.jpg

This will be my first beardie but I am very excited for him to arrive. Currently I have setup a 36x18x18 terrarium with a 10.0 desert T8 and although the picture shows a red heat lamp I'll be switching that to white light after further reading. I have also setup an automation system using a raspberry pi for his terrarium to automate turning on and off his lights at sunrise/sunset and to turn on a ceramic heat lamp just in case the temperature drops too low at night. I've also setup three DHT-22 sensors in his terrarium to monitor the temps over time and send me alerts if the temps drop or humidity starts to rise.

XTs2OBk.jpg

Currently I have noticed that the humidity in the terrarium is around 45% during the day and can get as high as 55% in the evening when the lights are off. The ambient humidity in the house is around 55-60%. Any suggestions on either a dehumidifier or other way of getting the humidity down a little further?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Welcome to the forum - first your tank looks good - but your UVB beings a T 8 needs to go inside the tank w/ a basking decor distance directly underneath approx 6-8 inches-- yes please get rid of the red bulb and replace w/ a bright white basking bulb - next your humidity is fine - it's when it gets 70% or higher we get concerned-- unless your temps drop to 65 or less at nite you will not need that ceramic heat emitter--- make sure your getting temps w/ a digital probe thermometer-- stickons give ambient temps only- everything sounds good
Karrie

AlmostEpic89

Original Poster
Hey thanks Karrie! I'll definitely move the light and I'll be getting the new white bulb on Monday after work.

As far as the CHE, it wont be too big of a deal during the summer but come fall through spring the temperatures in the office can easily drop below 65 ambient since the office was an addon to my house and isnt tied into the ducts for the gas furnace so I figure better safe than sorry in that aspect.

As for the temperature and humidity sensor the DHT-22 are digital sensors and are all within 0.5F and 1-2% humidity. I do also have a probe for manually checking the surface temperature of the areas to make sure they are the right temps. Right now I'm seeing around 103-108 in the basking area and around 85-90 on the cooler side.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Cooler side should be closer to lower 80's but everything sounds good
yes hang onto your CHE they come in handy esp if you have a sick dragon
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom