New dragon, new owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red12

Hi,
I’m Gabby, and I have always wanted to have a Beardie. I am new to reptiles and reading topics on this forum has been really helpful, so I thought I’d introduce Ramone and myself. I am totally open to constructive criticism on the setup and/or Ramone’s health. Basically, if there’s something obviously wrong, feel free to let me know. I look forward to your suggestions and feedback.

108676-3539987179.jpg
108676-6576107102.jpg
108676-3972910107.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I am not a plant expert but some others can comment on the plants--- welcome to the forum-- your dragon has interesting coloring -- where did you get him from? If you want to go over the husbandry of your tank that would be good - UVB brand and bulb your using-- basking temps and how your taking them? NO stick ons they are inaccurate -- and please ask questions -- we are here to help keep your little guy healthy and happy
Karrie

Red12

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome. I got him from a breeder at “Rainbow Bearded Dragons” about a month ago. He was listed as a red flame tail, het trans, het hypo. I thought he looked really interesting too.

Tank- The plant is a hen and chick succulent-I did some research on it and it’s supposed to be safe for them. Where I live is very very dry, and it helps to bring the humidity up to 30%/35%. I’ve got a 55 gal terrarium with paper towel substrate. The temperature gradient runs from 79/80 up to 110/115 (Fahrenheit) at the hottest point. The temp and humidity are measured using GXSTWU hydrometer and thermometers as well as an exoterra point and measure thermometer. There’s a 22in tube T5HO Reptisun bulb for UVB. He has a small water dish that gets changed daily (again to keep the humidity up to 30%). I’m not really sure what else to go over as far as the tank goes, so let me know if I can tell you anything else helpful.

General care- He gets a bath twice a week, but he really doesn’t like them. He seems to get a little more comfortable each time we do it. Other than that, he seems to really like sitting up on my shoulder and window watching. He’s almost 4 months old and eats dubias and crickets like a champ (we’re still working on greens). He’s a pretty active little dude. I alternate between ReptiCal d3 calcium supplement, Flukers calcium without d3, and herptivite multivitamins.

Again thanks for the response and I look forward to your feedback.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Your T 5 is in the tank or on top of screen? Inside distance should be 12-15 inches directly over basking decor-- on top of the tank 8-10 inches directly above the basking decor- 115 is a little too hot I would try and get it down to 110- it's good to offer a gradient- baths twice a week are ok I wouldn't give him that often - I would add some BSFL to his salad in the morning they are a good staple feeder--- you can use as many as you want do not dust them-- also some small - med super worms-- 1-3 in the salad you will need to get a glass bowl or ceramic bowl to keep them in it--- butter worms are good and small hornworms- hornworms are a hydrating worm grow real fast so if ordering them order small amounts- silkworms are a good lure and another staple feeder-- if you need websites let me know- feed the salad first thing in the morning w/ the worms and let him see you put them.im the bowl it will get his attention
Karrie

Red12

Original Poster
The bulb is inside the tank and is almost exactly 12in away from the tallest basking decor (the edge of the succulent). I’ll work on that temp. Would you suggest just shifting the decor a bit so that the light doesn’t hit it as directly? I have some BSFL coming in with my next shipment of roaches next week. I’ll try adding them to his greens. I offer them first thing and he usually eats a single leaf of either collards or mustard greens before shunning it entirely. I’ll keep working on it though.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
What a handsome little dragon! Looking forward to seeing you around the forum... I got a kick out of your gift wrapping of the tank; I thought for a second you were going for a Christmas theme!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom