Looking for some new advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, my beard is is named spike
He is around 7-9 years old (not sure how old he was when we got him but looked like a older teen beardie). I am new to this community and would like some feedback.

His environment:
He has to live in some unideal conditions, and my parents only get certain things. For example, his basking bulb only gets his 40 gal tank (unable to increase the tank size) to around 85-90 degrees Fahrenheit, and I am also unable to get a heating bulb. Additionally, his basking bulb only comes on from 11 am to 3 pm. He does have a UVB 10.0 bulb. His cool side is around 81 degrees Fahrenheit, but later in the day when his basking bulb is off there is not much difference. I usually take him out later in the day every other day, and he is usually active and walks around during that time until he gets cold and goes to sleep. Then I take him back to his tank. I bathe and let his soak him every week.

Some concerns I have:
So I have been feeding him green leaf lettuce (I'm hoping it's not as bad as iceberg lettuce) and 1-2 mealworms every other day until a couple weeks ago. I looked up some more information recently and learned all about how they aren't nutritious and mealworms aren't a good option. I felt so bad but he wasn't abnormally lazy so I didn't notice. I managed to get some mustard and collard greens, as well as a couple mangoes. However, he won't eat the greens as much and can't lick up some of the mangoes I give him as well as some fruits time to time. I am afraid this will make his condition worse. I am trying to get some dubia roaches, which I got permission for. I also have some calcium with vitamin d3 I use. He only poops every week or two, which I am concerned about. As far as I can tell, it looks normal though. He is not super active, but has some lazy times especially shown when he lays halfway on his log. I am also going to try and put in a hammock soon.

I would like to know if my beardie is okay, I care for him and lot and felt so awful when I realized I was taking care of him wrong. I originally got him from a rescue center after the previous person put two in a cage and they ended up fighting and he hurt his leg, which healed completely. I did feed him a lot better when be was young, and for years he ate crickets but they got out constantly and became too much of a problem. They were too hard to maintain. After I fed him superworms, but they actually ended up pricking me and Spike had some hard times digesting them. I would also like any advice for how to treat him better in the conditions I am limited to. I'm trying to take him to the vet soon, but would like some advice beforehand.

Sorry for this being so long
Thanks for any help!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok first your basking temps need to be a lot higher than 85-90 degrees he will not be able to digest his food w/ out higher temps--- thus hes going to get sick --- next how are you taking that temp? that stick on in the corner is in correct you need to get a digital probe thermometer from petco or petsmart for $7 https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/environmental-control-and-lighting/zoo-med-reptile-terrarium-digital-thermometer-14914.html?cgid=500202 -- ASAP--- basking temps need to be 95-110-- a good piece of decor that offers a gradient heat is the best - then he can pick his spot of where he wants to bask - this is what I am talking about
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/habitats-and-decor/thrive-driftwood-reptile-decor-54734.html?cgid=500204 this piece can be set in the tank different ways --next one is the UVB 10.0 bulb? is this a coil or tube? If its the coil it is not any good and you will need to replace it ASAP- at this point the only UVB he is getting is when you take him outside which is good but he needs a good UVB!!! Next he needs a photo period of 12 hrs on and 12 hrs off --- please tell me what your using for a UVB--
Next meal worms and super worms are not a good staple feeder - he needs insects 2-3 times per week and dusted w/ calcium if he is not eating his veggies or salad - please do not feed him anymore lettuce -- go here and look at this site http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder --- I can give you websites to order from for dubia roaches and good worm they are alot easier to keep and they last way longer than crickets --- you can keep them in a 10 gallon aquarium or tote they do not climb out of this -- feed them dubia food a pound will last quite awhile feed them carrots or and / squash for hydration --- but you need to feed him better and have proper basking temps and UVB or he will not last long - they hide their illness very well and you wont know that they are sick til they can no longer hide it or die -- but please you need to correct your husbandry-- i was also going to say its not unusual for them not to poop for weeks or a month - he needs to hydration so rinse the greens before serving them --
Karrie

DragonCompanion21

Original Poster
I am not using the thermometer in the corner, I am using a surface temperature taker. I'll work on getting a thermometer. The UVB is a coil, 26w and here is the information:http://m.exo-terra.com/products/info.php?pt=2189
I'll look more into the decor as well. The UVB stays on for 12 hours, from 8:30 am to 8:30 pm.

I have already taken him off lettuce and introduced greens and kale(which I wash) and mangoes, although he has a hard time eating the mangoes. I'll also look into squash. I am hoping to get the roaches within a couple days.
I have some calcium I plan to use.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok good your on the right track-- ok the 26 watt UVB is not the best - I would replace it w/ a Tube-- but if you want to stay w/ the coil get a Reptisun 26 watt- the 13 watt bulbs are inadequate we have not heard anything bad about the 26 watt Reptisuns but you need that bulb in a reflector dome and approx 6-8 inches from basking decor- it needs to be unobstructed to do it's job- if your interested in changing to a tube I would be glad to post info for them - at this time the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 are the best on the market--- I am glad you have changed his diet that's good but you need your basking temps to be correct for proper digestion and a good UVB- if he's having a hard time eating the mango don't feed try a different piece of fruit something soft like a berry- please limit them they are high in sugar- the basking light needs to be on 12 hrs and that UVB your using I have very little faith in it---
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You can get a basking light from Petco or PetSmart for like $8 it's going to be trial and error- so you need a infrared heat gun or a digital probe thermometer that is a must before changing out basking bulbs--- I would start w/ a 100 watt exo Terra bright white basking no colored or yellowish bulbs--- look here for a 24" fixture for a 40+ gallon tank--- www.pangeareptiles.com
Look under fixtures they have one for $32 that will work do not use the bulb it comes w/ it is not for reptiles- or you can get the zoo med it comes w/ a 5.0 bulb hang onto it it can be used as a back up - you want a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5- the T 5 will need to be changed out in 1 year- it can be placed on top of screen but your basking decor needs to be 8-10 inches directly underneath
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Did you order a new UVB or get the coil changed out to the Reptisun?
Karrie

DragonCompanion21

Original Poster
I have installed a basking bulb so far which has increased the temperature a good amount. I have also found a holder/fixture for a UVB tube, but I have yet to order one. Just wondering, where would you say is the most reliable place to order dubia roaches based on your experiences?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Does the fixture have a reflector? Did you get a probe thermometer? Best place to order dubias and worms is www.dubiaroaches.com they have nice roaches horn worms super worms and butter worms- those I think they are out--- they are fast - silk worms you can get from here
www.reptilianarts.com if your order in bulk like 50 make sure you get food too you will need to feed them and clean the container out daily
www.coastilsilkworms.com
www.mulberryfarms.com they are high on shipping
Karrie

DragonCompanion21

Original Poster
Yes, I believe it has a reflector. It is 12" because the top of the enclosure has a break in the middle and cannot support a larger one. I don't have a thermometer yet, but am still working towards it. His basking temperature is now 95-100 degrees though, so it's better. I also noticed he is more active and sometimes digs when he is having bowel movements. Is this normal? It looks similar to other bearded dragon's, and doesn't have any signs of blood, so I don't think he has constipation.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
is this your fixture? https://www.amazon.com/Carolina-Custom-Cages-Reptile-Standard/dp/B01DDRVB9K I am going to assume this is a T8? Look on the bulb it will tell you-- if its a T 8 it needs to go inside the tank -- the UVB rays are not strong enough to go thru the screen - you can use these to hang inside the tank 3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire –long plastic zip ties - potted plant wire hangers -- fishing line -- shoe laces
It needs to be 6-8 inches from his basking decor w/ NO plactic cover over the bulb meaning that bulb needs to be exposed
You need to get a digital probe - the temp your getting is inaccurate if its a stick on
and no its not normal for them to dig before they go poop -- if hes pooping hes not constipated which is good however improper basking temps will not allow them to digest their food properly and the insects/ food will come out undigested --
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom