Charlie the Beardie! Been in brumation for 3+ months?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pauz23

Hi! My name is Paolo, and Charlie is my bearded dragon. She (or he tbh I have no clue yet) is I believe around 6 months old. I got her from PetSmart (I know, I am sorry. We went in for dog food and I walked out with Charlie and a terrarium. It was love at first sight!). I had NO idea how to care for her but the next 1-2 days was filled with research for Charlie.

Her diet
When she was younger, crickets, mealworms, then I quickly switched to tiny handpicked super worms! She would eat butternut squash, kale, strawberry, cabbage, and mango on occasion but she mostly chose the worms. I would dust each food with calcium powder for 4 then 2 with calcium d3

Her terrarium
It is a 40 gallon terrarium with the warm side going to 70F-108F(when it was winter it would drop because it would get way too hot in my room) with a UVB (not sure the W but I believe its around 100?). With 2 basking stones, and a branch (store bought) with her veggie food bowl in one side and her protein food bowl in the other. on the cold side i'm not really sure what the temp is
She has recently been waking up and walking around sometimes but she still has not eaten. She is currently hiding under her hammock

Every day I have offered a superworm (what she usually eats) and some veggies, with no luck. In the past 3 months, or so, she has pooped/peed once. I am not sure whether or not to be worried. Anyways, that just an introduction to Charlie and hopefully an answered brumation as I have seen that brumation for this long in young beardies are uncommon. Thank you!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Welcome to you and Charlie----Are you sure Charlie is 6 months old-- for a baby dragon to go into brumation is to me odd --- I got my Blaze at 3 months old in Sept and he never went into brumation -- as far I know they do not brumate that young-- can you post a pic of Charlie and her tank set up please
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box and then click on the pic it should post
Karrie

Pauz23

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1cuk6tzd said:
Welcome to you and Charlie----Are you sure Charlie is 6 months old-- for a baby dragon to go into brumation is to me odd --- I got my Blaze at 3 months old in Sept and he never went into brumation -- as far I know they do not brumate that young-- can you post a pic of Charlie and her tank set up please
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box and then click on the pic it should post
Karrie

Hi, thank you for the reply! I actually am not entirely sure how old she is but assumed she was a baby when I got her in November

Here is before suspected brumation:

108424-6461269236.jpg

Tank setup Now (light is off because she was hiding so didnt think would make much of a difference, it's on now

108424-4037745283.jpg

And here she is now

108424-4279935248.jpg

108424-8671560189.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Your dragon looks very ill---- first off what are you using for a UVB? If its a coil please get rid of it and replace w/ this ASAP -- I cannot stress this enough -- you need a 24" fixture w/ reflector and a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb --- you can either set it on top of the screen w/ your basking decor directly under it 8-10 inches --- you need to hydrate her either by giving by syringe very slow or by a bath see if she will drink or by dropping water on her nose --- her basking temps need to be 105-110 taken w/a digital probe thermometer --- NO stickons -- they are inaccurate - next I would get some food into her whether you make a slushie in your blender of fresh collard greens squash along w/ some insects crickets or dubias -- you will not be able to use the blender again if you put insects in it - or you can get some baby food chicken and mix w/ baby food squash add a little calcium D3 to the food like a pinch -- feed her by syringe very slow around 1ML 3 times per day -- you need to feed slow so she is not over whelmed w/ food -- you need to start this right away and get a new UVB if your using a coil-- in the mean time if its warm where you are 65+ degrees take her outside either holding her or in a plastic tote NO glass set her in direct sun/partial shade for no longer than 15 minutes -- you dont want to burn her up ---
Karrie

Pauz23

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3jy3ql32 said:
Your dragon looks very ill---- first off what are you using for a UVB? If its a coil please get rid of it and replace w/ this ASAP -- I cannot stress this enough -- you need a 24" fixture w/ reflector and a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb --- you can either set it on top of the screen w/ your basking decor directly under it 8-10 inches --- you need to hydrate her either by giving by syringe very slow or by a bath see if she will drink or by dropping water on her nose --- her basking temps need to be 105-110 taken w/a digital probe thermometer --- NO stickons -- they are inaccurate - next I would get some food into her whether you make a slushie in your blender of fresh collard greens squash along w/ some insects crickets or dubias -- you will not be able to use the blender again if you put insects in it - or you can get some baby food chicken and mix w/ baby food squash add a little calcium D3 to the food like a pinch -- feed her by syringe very slow around 1ML 3 times per day -- you need to feed slow so she is not over whelmed w/ food -- you need to start this right away and get a new UVB if your using a coil-- in the mean time if its warm where you are 65+ degrees take her outside either holding her or in a plastic tote NO glass set her in direct sun/partial shade for no longer than 15 minutes -- you dont want to burn her up ---
Karrie

Hi! before I buy anything I wanted to double check. These are the things I am buying off Amazon, are they adequate? I felt the branded hood was really expensive and I saw a review recommending this hood. Also, how often should I be taking her out in the sun while I wait for the fixture? Thank you so much for your patience and help.

Hood:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0748CH4B9/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1

Bulb:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00AQU8HAO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ACESBCCRDDFV4&psc=1

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes they had issues w/ the sunblasters hoods please go to the general discussion board and under announcements top of screen read the update on the sun blasters- when you get your hood test it like it shows on that topic-- take her out everyday till the fixture comes - 15 minutes will equal out to around 4 hrs of UVB- she needs UVB asap and water and food-- you should see a little improvement w/ the sun light - she is probably dehydrated
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom