New mommy of a Supremely spoiled boo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! I'm Amy. sweet baby Osiris, let me just say this. When we first got little Flemeth, I was so afraid she didn't like me. I would come near her and she would run away. We got her from Petco so I doubt she had very little caring human contact. And the way the guy grabbed her out without a doggone care... I thought my husband was going to hit him. So I didn't blame my little boo for running. She didn't know people were nice and would fall madly in love with with her.

I gave her space. She chilled for a couple of weeks. Then I got her silkworms and Phoenixworms just to hand feed. At first I talked to her while tong feed. She liked that a lot. Then I put one in my palm. She liked that, too!! Then I got her out, just holding her, and for being a good boo, I'd give her worm. So cute, because she'd eat them off of my hand, shoulders, or lap.

Before then it was crickets. Now, I give her the Phoenix or silkworms. Deary me! She is now a spoiled baby girl. She even knows the darn container. My husband got her out and she ran to me and looked up at me expecting! I couldn't say no to that face! Gah!

Our kids, man. The things we do to make them happy. She's asleep now against the glass of her for now room.

https://i.imgur.com/3ow76qQ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/3h6HDR2.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Welcome she sounds adorable! :) You got her from Petco please tell me you didnt buy one the kits that have useless stuff and lights that are no good!!! NO coil UVBs's --- how big is the tank shes in?
Karrie

Witchwitchinitch

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1l5fj6lu said:
Welcome she sounds adorable! :) You got her from Petco please tell me you didnt buy one the kits that have useless stuff and lights that are no good!!! NO coil UVBs's --- how big is the tank shes in?
Karrie

It's 20 gallon for now, and no. Not that they didn't try. We had everything ready before she was adopted. And no. No coil bulbs. She has a florescent uvb. She's pretty happy with everything. My husband flat out told the guy to stop his pitch and that we didn't need all of that. We plan upgrade to a 75 gallon in a few months.

I was curious about mercury vapor bulbs, though. Anyone use these with a baby or are they more for adults?

Had no idea such a little boo could poop so big, though!!! LOL!! Not trying to be gross but my goodness!! She loves her silkworms and Phoenixworms too. She goes crazy any time the lid opens because she thinks it's worm time :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Are you feeding salads --- ? first thing in the morning --- she needs to be started on her salads and you can use those BSFL or phoenix worms as lures to the salad bowl --- you want her eating her vegies --- MVB I am not familiar w/ them - I know some people use them but personally they are to hard to get basking temps and UVB to where its equaled out and then sometimes you end up needing to buy an extra UVB fixture as well - what size UVB fixture are you using now? When people have the 20 gallon tanks and are using coils I recommend they get a 24" fixture and just improvise using it till they upgrade to a bigger tank --- they can have it sitting width wise across that 20 gallon tank - a 24" fixture will go right into a 40+ gallon tank w/ no problem--
Karrie

Witchwitchinitch

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1i8amtfy said:
Are you feeding salads --- ? first thing in the morning --- she needs to be started on her salads and you can use those BSFL or phoenix worms as lures to the salad bowl --- you want her eating her vegies --- MVB I am not familiar w/ them - I know some people use them but personally they are to hard to get basking temps and UVB to where its equaled out and then sometimes you end up needing to buy an extra UVB fixture as well - what size UVB fixture are you using now? When people have the 20 gallon tanks and are using coils I recommend they get a 24" fixture and just improvise using it till they upgrade to a bigger tank --- they can have it sitting width wise across that 20 gallon tank - a 24" fixture will go right into a 40+ gallon tank w/ no problem--
Karrie

Yes, that's what she actually has and a florescent bulb. It was expensive, but it is what it is. Can't wait to get her the 75 and few more toys. We're actually thinking on skipping the 40 all together. My boss has a big boy and he suggested to just go ahead and get the big one.

She actually has an organic Basile plant in with her and she loves mustard greens. We tried to give her cut up black berries but she wouldn't eat them. So salad is no worries with her.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Good she's eating salads - what is the brand and bulb your using a T 5 or T 8? Is there a screen on the 20 gallon? Asking because those bulbs require different distances
Karrie

Witchwitchinitch

Original Poster
KarrieRee":380mpdsd said:
Good she's eating salads - what is the brand and bulb your using a T 5 or T 8? Is there a screen on the 20 gallon? Asking because those bulbs require different distances
Karrie

Oh my goodness I'm so sorry for not answering sooner. I've been working like crazy with all of the weird stuff going on right now. I tried to get a pic uploaded from Amazon of the bulb and hood (18 inch, actually with 18 inch hood... T8 is what it says. Zoo med?? Yes, it is a screen top. She is shedding at the moment and I'm actually worried about getting her out as often. She eats like a boss!!! We got her kale, carrots, and some apple. My deary me, she loves the mix!!

We have 5 tarantulas so maybe I'm worried because of them. You do not ever interrupt a molting tarantula. So, I am worried about playing with her during shed. Not because I'm scared of a bite. Interrupted months in a tarantula can seriously hurt them.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok T 8's need to have a distance of 8-10 inches w/ NO screen-- plastic cover off the fixture w / bulb exposed
Karrie

Witchwitchinitch

Original Poster
KarrieRee":14re9lco said:
Ok T 8's need to have a distance of 8-10 inches w/ NO screen-- plastic cover off the fixture w / bulb exposed
Karrie
It's inside? I heard they could be inside the habitat... oh, did I do wrong? She seems okay... even went from gray to orange. Is that bad? No plastic cover... dome is open for lack of a better word. And it's actually reptisun. The dome is a brand I can't remember... zoomed?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You have the T 8 inside the tank? That is good your basking decor should be 8-10 inches from bulb
Karrie

Witchwitchinitch

Original Poster
KarrieRee":q084lkh2 said:
You have the T 8 inside the tank? That is good your basking decor should be 8-10 inches from bulb
Karrie
Whew!! Yes, it's inside Flemeth's 'room'. Was scared for a minute. My boss has a fat happy boy and he told me to do this. He even recommended the lights. She's so orange now!! Well, some of her isn't because of shed. She wants to get out and I feel so guilty because she is shedding. Spiders die if you interrupt molts.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
She needs to go into a bigger tank--- 20 gallon is too small- I recommend you start looking for a tank 75-120 gallon-- 40 is minimum for a full size dragon and even then it becomes too small
Karrie

Witchwitchinitch

Original Poster
KarrieRee":26469ttx said:
She needs to go into a bigger tank--- 20 gallon is too small- I recommend you start looking for a tank 75-120 gallon-- 40 is minimum for a full size dragon and even then it becomes too small
Karrie
Oh, dear, we just upgraded to 75. Is it still too small?? Two days ago we moved her. Again, I am worried about the shed. As a spider keeper for years, I still am concerned about reptiles shedding. Is it the same?? Leave them alone??? Also, wow! I feel like I'm being integrated. My boss Matt has had his boy for three years and he is who I turn to for advice because he's close by. Flemeth eats, poops, and plays like a champ. I figured I was doing everything okay. She even got a larger room two days ago... but I still feel for some reason I'm doing something wrong ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No your 75 gallon tank is big enough the only thing too small now is the UVB -- if its a 18" fixture I would recommend you getting a 24" fixture w/ a reflector and a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 -- the bigger tanks should have stronger bulbs --- for now use the T 8 but I would get the longer fixture --
Karrie

WinFam01

Juvie Member
I think you're doing good. I'm still new and think it's always good to keep learning, which is exactly what you're doing. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom