New dragon, new dragon keeper!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all!

First off, I'm so glad this website exists. The knowledge base contained here is super helpful!

My bearded dragon came into my life via a neighborhood "Buy Nothing" group about five weeks ago. His previous owner was moving and couldn't take him with them. They couldn't provide a lot of details about him, so I've been trying to fill in the blanks as I go! I'm guessing he's around a year old. He's my first dragon, and I've been learning a lot :) We've made a lot of progress in these five weeks. He's getting used to being handled (and getting used to me), he's gaining needed weight, and he's had incremental enclosure upgrades. He also came with a name, but he's left it behind; new home, new him!

Anyway, meet Barbossa!

full

Our next adventure is moving him from the 40 gallon breeder he came with into a new 4x2x2 vivarium. I'm financially recovering from the initial expense of setting him up, but hope to move him within the next 3-4 months.

Draven88

Hatchling Member
Glad to hear things are going well for you, and that he is putting on some weight. Its always hard to say from a picture but he does look a bit under weight. If you have not already it is always good to have a small scale to monitor weights.

Also the 4x2x2 is a great size for adult. I would highly recommend checking out the DIY section if it s an option for you as there are some amazing builds here that you just cant find commercially available. Often times if you have patience and a few tools it can also save a lot of money over purchasing a pre built enclosure.

Don't hesitate to post questions or ask for advice.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes welcome ---- he does look a little thin -- here is a website for nutriton ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder- http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
So you have the 4x2x2 correct? What are you using for a UVB? NO coils -- they are bad-- you will need a digital probe thermometer for accurate basking temps --- no sand --- it can cause impaction and harbors bacteria--- if you need any help please ask ---
Karrie

rosiethehobbit

Original Poster
Draven88":dxwru9wl said:
Glad to hear things are going well for you, and that he is putting on some weight. Its always hard to say from a picture but he does look a bit under weight. If you have not already it is always good to have a small scale to monitor weights.

Yes, I use a kitchen scale and I've been weighing him weekly! On day 2 with me he was 284 g (weighed at the vet), and he is currently at 350; due for a weigh-in in a couple of days but I daresay he's put some more on this week.

rosiethehobbit

Original Poster
KarrieRee":efu84pmm said:
Yes welcome ---- he does look a little thin -- here is a website for nutriton ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder- http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
So you have the 4x2x2 correct? What are you using for a UVB? NO coils -- they are bad-- you will need a digital probe thermometer for accurate basking temps --- no sand --- it can cause impaction and harbors bacteria--- if you need any help please ask ---
Karrie

Thank you! I've been going by their nutrition page for the most part. He gets daily salad and daily bugs; calcium 4-5x per week and a multi 1-2x per week. He's gained 23% in the first four weeks, he's almost due for another weigh-in. He's been gaining each week, so I'm pleased with his progress so far! We're also working on deworming, as he has pinworms!

He has a new fluorescent tube UVB bulb; Reptisun 10.0 t5. We've got two digital probe thermometers - one on either end of his enclosure, and a temp gun for checking his basking spot. He's on ceramic tile and paper towels right now.

I don't have the 4x2x2 yet, but I'll be getting it within the next few months :)

Draven88

Hatchling Member
Thats definately a good weight gain. Maybe even a little fast, but thats a better for the vet treating to decide. Ots a shame you werent advised of a more precise age, but weightto lenght ratio means more than age as they are all different in ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom