New to the forum-Intro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barthalamule

Hi. I’m new here. My teenage son owns a bearded dragon. I gifted Barthalamule to my son in 2019. She’s in a large enclosure tank, 48 1/2” x 18 1/2” x 21 3/8”. She is about 15 months old. I have started to spend a lot of time with her since January 2020.
When I first gave Barthalamule to my son, I didn’t really spend much time with her. It was his responsibility. Now I go in his room and feed her & clean her tank, etc. Unfortunately, since I hadn’t spent continuous time with her for 7 months, she is not happy to be handled. My son gave up on handling her.
I can hand feed her in her vivarium. I can clean her tank & move objects around without her getting upset. But she does not like to be petted or picked up. She sometimes hisses at me. Of course, I don’t want to stress her. Any recommendations on how to fix our relationship are
appreciated.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welcome to the forum! Give it time with the handling. Try spending time near her enclosure and talk to her a bit. Try hand feeding her treats like black soldier fly larvae or silk worms and see if that helps over time. Don't force handling but give it a try now and then and see how she reacts. Can you post some photos of her and her setup? You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button when you reply.

Please let us know if you have any questions about her care or would like us to review your setup. We'll be happy to help as much as we can.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Hi and welcome! I would second hand feeding (or use feeding tongs) with bugs. Small fruits like blueberries can also be an appreciated treat food. Dragons are smart enough to learn their name so you can speak his name to him and talk about things. He doesn't need to understand everything but it may help him know you are here to talk and give him treats/bugs.

Give her a chance to lick at your hand to pick up your scent. Some people have luck leaving a small item like a scarf or glove with your scent on it inside the enclosure so Barthalamule can get used to you better.

My dragon is not a fan of being picked up either. I always move slow to pick her up. Put one hand down then use the other hand to place her front legs then back legs/tail on the supportive hand. I will hold the base of her tail with the free hand as extra support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom