New to Beardies

Status
Not open for further replies.

waya

I Just got my little guy/gal a few days ago I've wanted one for a long time. I don't know if there is a way to tell if ts a male or female. I've just been saying he. I was looking into info on them for some time but still seems I got a lot wrong to start. I made a lot of changes in just a few days of having this little one hoping I'm on the right track now.

I've been breeding dubia for a few years now so that's my main food for the little one. I sadly still haven't got he to take greens. I've tried mixing the roaches in and he just picks to dubia out without eating any greens. Collard, Dandelion, Mustered and Turnip greens are the ones I've tried. I've also tried Zilla Reptile Munchies Vegetable mix. He LOVES his dubia but also is picky with them and only wants larger nymphs the ones he likes are bigger then what I seen is the recommended between the eye size.

Items I have atm;
  • 40g breeder with a extra 9 and a half inches of height

Zoo Med T8 ReptiSun 10.0 UVB Fluorescent Lamp 18" (would like to get bigger and seem like maybe it would be better to go with t5)

Zoo Med Repti Calcium without D3 Reptile Supplement

Fluker's Calcium Reptile Supplement with added Vitamin D3

Fluker's Repta Vitamin Reptile Supplement

Zilla Mini Halogen Reptile Dome Heat Lamp/Mini Halogen Day White 50w Bulb

Fluker's Ceramic Clamp Lamp, 8.5-in/60W Ceramic Heat Lamp

Zilla Green Terrarium Liner topped with EasyLiner Smooth Top Shelf Liner, Beige Granite With a few piece of slate tile on top

DIY EasyLiner Select Grip Shelf Liner, Light Gray Hammocks

For now as he's still small he has some Grape vines and Drift word to crawl on. I have some larger piece of word and some large hides for later.

He's very active and seems to think he can fly lol. Seems to maybe have a issue with his right eye. He likes to keep it closed and seems to rub that side of his head some and never the other side. He can open the eye just fine though.

Can anyone take a guess on age and color?
107567-8371579693.jpg
107567-7478453661.jpg
107567-9347070274.jpg
107567-3568900181.jpg

107567-7897193501.jpg
107567-3179955366.jpg
107567-6020463202.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welcome to the forum! I like his setup. The extra height you are able to provide is great. I agree that moving to a T5 is a good idea when you have that kind of distance/height available. This is what I use and it is an excellent choice http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/

Don't worry too much about the veges at this age. When they are small they need a lot of protein to support growth spurts. Keep salads available, but don't worry if he prefers roaches for now. This should start to change as he approaches full size between about 12-18 months old.

My guess on the eye and the scratching is that area is about to shed and is itchy. Look out for dull or waxy skin as signs of an oncoming shed. Once that is done he should feel a bit better (until the next shed - this is frequent when they are young).

How are your surface temps? Do you have a good digital thermometer with a probe or an IR temp gun to measure the surface temps across the tank? It's important to provide a gradient so he has plenty of options available. He will move around and self regulate to get what he needs at a given time.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Welcome! Have you named your baby yet? Maybe something not gender specific, if not. ?
Glad you found the site!
-Dee

waya

Original Poster
Hello and thank you both for the reply's

I have a IR temp gun. Temps are still a work in progress. 103f in the warm area about 80-85 on that side of the tank. About 76-80 on the other side. I just finished the added height park so that's where the temps have fallen without me moving any lights around yet. Right after getting him I got the flu so sadly moving very slow on stuff I want to get done. I have noticed a little bit of shed on his tail and a tiny piece on his mouth

I haven't named hm yet nothing seems fitting so far. I do want a name that works for male or female. One that I was thinking but also I think is more likely to common is Spike. Beardie and spikes also Spike from Cowboy Bebop. A different one was a different take on a dog name cat with a dragon named squirrel as he seems to think he can fly and though I have birds hes more like a flying squirrel lol. I'm up to name suggestions but may need to wait till I'm not sick and understand his personality a little more. Atm he seems to cling on to my hands but also jump away. Go jumping from anywhere into the roaches. Also jumping onto my fiance's beard we were joking that we know think we understand why there called bearded dragons. It's because they like to sit on beards. :lol:

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
IR temp gun is a good way to go. The basking temp and the range across the enclosure sounds about right. You can keep tweaking it a bit to fit their preferences which you'll discover after observing for a while. Don't be in too big of a rush for a name. Something just right will come along eventually and stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom