Clementine the leatherback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I just got my first beardie this past weekend!
My boyfriend has had them so luckily between searching online and asking him, I'm becoming more knowledgeable!
I found Clementine on Craigslist. I was searching for a red or orange beardie that was already known to be sociable. I saw the pics of her on her owners shoulder and was sold (or rather, she was sold!). I intend on taking her to many places and let her see the world! Okay maybe just pet stores and other stores.
She is about a year old. She loves collard greens, blueberries, crickets (havent tried any worms yet), and strawberries. She doesn't seem to like raspberries.
About me: as you can tell by my username, I ride Harley Davidsons (we have 3 between my bf and i), have a bunch of tattoos, a dog named Foxy, and now my beardie! Oh yeah we also have 13 snakes! We have corns/milks/kings.
Looking forward to seeing everyones cute beardies!
107405-1698007156.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welcome to the forum! I'm glad Clementine has found a happy home with you. I look forward to reading about her adventures =).

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Welcome --- the wood chips in the tank I would get rid of --- if she were to ingest one or piece it could cause internal imjuries - I would go w/ some textured NON adhesive shelf liner or slated ceramic tile nothing smooth and not too course --- you can get it at your local home improvement store cheap and its easy to clean w vinegar / water 50/50 in a spray bottle and insects cant get underneath - the tile would need to be cut w / a tile cutter so you dont get the jagged edges --- also I noticed shes clear to the top of the tank --- what are you using for a UVB? coil ? or tube?
Karrie

HarleyDogDragon

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1zsa3zc1 said:
Welcome --- the wood chips in the tank I would get rid of --- if she were to ingest one or piece it could cause internal imjuries - I would go w/ some textured NON adhesive shelf liner or slated ceramic tile nothing smooth and not too course --- you can get it at your local home improvement store cheap and its easy to clean w vinegar / water 50/50 in a spray bottle and insects cant get underneath - the tile would need to be cut w / a tile cutter so you dont get the jagged edges --- also I noticed shes clear to the top of the tank --- what are you using for a UVB? coil ? or tube?
Karrie

Hi Karrie, we actually just bought reptile carpet at Petco tonight as we swapped out her rectangular aquarium for a more square front-opening Exoterra. So no more chips (I know I read how bad they were for possible impaction. Dont know if you watch Dr. K's Exotic Animal ER on Nat Geo channel but that practice is literally a mile down the street from me! So I'm relieved to have an exotic vet so close by.)
I got the lights from the previous owner. The non basking light (pure white one) looks like a tube. The lights are no longer sitting on top. We got the hanging bracket which now sits a couple of inches above the cage top.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What is the UVB Tube-- brand and bulb? I am glad you got rid of the wood chips
Karrie

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
Ceramic tile would be best or slate tile would cost less then 10bucks at your hardware store honedevit or lowes easier to clean and see when dirty nice and sturdy and keeps their nails trimmed. The carpets are harder to clean and eventually will need to buy another after such along time and if u wanna go with a loose substrate look into bioative setups and I think it's best to offer two substrates

HarleyDogDragon

Original Poster
Wickedpogana":22dt1mhe said:
Ceramic tile would be best or slate tile would cost less then 10bucks at your hardware store honedevit or lowes easier to clean and see when dirty nice and sturdy and keeps their nails trimmed. The carpets are harder to clean and eventually will need to buy another after such along time and if u wanna go with a loose substrate look into bioative setups and I think it's best to offer two substrates

The bf likes the idea of slate. Her nails are very long and would benefit from the natural trim. Will definitely look into it very soon! We have moved her around a lot from one cage to another and I'd like to let her settle before we make more changes. We've had her less than a week. She is super chill and seems well adjusted but don't want to push her.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Tube goes into a long fixture-- coils go into a dome- if it's the dome one please tell me if it's a 13 watt or 26 watt
Karrie

HarleyDogDragon

Original Poster
KarrieRee":37mvagir said:
Tube goes into a long fixture-- coils go into a dome- if it's the dome one please tell me if it's a 13 watt or 26 watt
Karrie

It's a coil then. (But its 2 short straight tubes, not like the circular bulbs I'm used to seeing in lamps.)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please look on the bulb and see what wattage -- if its the 13 watt you need to get rid of it those are killer coils -- the 26 watt is ok I have not heard anything bad about the 26 so I am posting some info on both of those bulb
the 26 watt
The 26w version of the UVB150 is similar in output to a T8 tube when using a reflector. The beam isn't as wide (depending on the length of the tube) but the output strength is very similar. If it was sitting about 6-8'' above the main basking area then it was likely providing adequate UVB. It's the lower wattage (13w) versions that cause concern since they aren't strong enough to provide adequate UVB at a safe distance.
Here is info on UVB's
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 12-15 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays--
Please get rid of the 13 if that is what it is -- go from there on what you want to do myself I would go w/ the Tube they have proven to be the best
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom