Not open for further replies.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
[ximg]106785 60
106785-9882309190.jpg
16949555[/ximg]
106785-1259691730.jpg
Hi everyone! New BD mom here.
Will try to post some pics and give you some info on Petey.
I received Petey on Thanksgiving, he belonged to my son and DIL, but they just don't have the time to handle 2 Dragons, 3 dogs, 2 businesses, home etc. So, since I was quite familiar with their zoo and especially liked Petey, I offered to make him mine.
About Petey, all approximate
Age between 18 mos and 2 yrs.
Weight 420 grams.
Length 21 inches (give or take lol)
Petey's home is a 40 gal 18x36 tank with screen lid, hide rock, log, dish and hammock.
He has a basking spotlight with lamp and a exo terra repti glo 10.0 15W 18inch T8.
I do not have ir temp gun, probe or calcium and vitamin supplements yet but they are on order from 'the big A'. Along with a ceramic dish for water or worms or whatever and 100 superworms. All should be received in the next few days.
Petey's daily diet is a large salad consisting of greens, squashes, sweet potato shreds, bell pepper and a couple bites of fruit like blueberry, raspberry.
Every other day he gets a couple superworms in addition to salad. Or if he's been particularly good, like warm bath, weighed and measured etc.
I feel Petey is adult and doesn't need protein daily.
He gets warm bath weekly, is alert and active and I think healthy, although until he came with me, he ate too many worms and not enough salad.
I have been reading this site for weeks and want to thank everyone for the multitude of info. So helpful! Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Will try to add some pics. If I mess that up forgive me.
Thanks to all!
Dee
[XIMG]106785
106785-4548004116.jpg
794968754[/XIMG]

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there welcome to the site!

I'm glad your were able to take Petey it sounds like he is in good hands with his new beardie slave :D

We love pictures here so I have a feeling you're gonna fot in well! Haha.

Idk if it's just the angle of the first pic, but he looks like he has a really cool and aggressive looking head. Hes a dragon all right!

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You definitely need the temp gauges coming -- you want his basking temp 95-105- does your UVB have a reflector on the hood? And I noticed hes on sand? I would get rid of the sand -- too much risk for impaction - and it harbors bacteria - you can replace w/ some textured non adhesive shelf liner from your local home improvement store - its cheap and easy to clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 in a spray bottle -- are you going to upgrade his tank ? Recommended for an adult bearded dragon is 75-120 gallon--- its great you took him in sounds like the other family had their hands full -- welcome to the forum any issues arise please ask
Karrie

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":145reydi said:
Hi there welcome to the site!

I'm glad your were able to take Petey it sounds like he is in good hands with his new beardie slave :D

We love pictures here so I have a feeling you're gonna fot in well! Haha.

Idk if it's just the angle of the first pic, but he looks like he has a really cool and aggressive looking head. Hes a dragon all right!

-Brandon
Oh yeah! He's all Dragon! And chock full of dragon-tude!
The pics aren't great, but he's a handsome boy.
Thanks for the welcome.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":23rei9s5 said:
You definitely need the temp gauges coming -- you want his basking temp 95-105- does your UVB have a reflector on the hood? And I noticed hes on sand? I would get rid of the sand -- too much risk for impaction - and it harbors bacteria - you can replace w/ some textured non adhesive shelf liner from your local home improvement store - its cheap and easy to clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 in a spray bottle -- are you going to upgrade his tank ? Recommended for an adult bearded dragon is 75-120 gallon--- its great you took him in sounds like the other family had their hands full -- welcome to the forum any issues arise please ask
Karrie
Hi Karrie. Thanks for the info.
I do plan to get a larger enclosure, my best friend is a carpenter and working on finishing my enclosed sun porch, hopefully by summer. Looking at building him something nice out there, just have no space inside, which is why he's on my bar. His substrate is ground coconut fiber, which he's always been on but will be tossed later in the week, planning on some natural stone tile with a small section of reptile carpet on it, like under his hide. Have everything on order and as soon as it comes in, will stop by Lowe's for some time and he'll be good to go until we get the new 'home' built.
I don't believe his uvb light has reflector, will need to replace it I guess. Being on fixed income, cant do it all at once. Pretty much tapped for Dec. Aren't we all?!!
Thanks Karrie.
Dee

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Glad to hear your getting rid of the substrate --- from what I understand coconut soil is not good for them as far as fiber I am not sure but its good its going-- I think the soil is known for causing RI in dragons-- the sooner the fixture is replaced the better w/ it not having a reflector on it hes not getting any UVB--- if you can take a piece of decor and place directly under it till you can get one w/ a reflector -- I understand it can take time w/ getting things as they are expensive -- he will like sitting on your bar as it would be a good place for him to watch things and be social -
Karrie

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":2iv1lydw said:
Glad to hear your getting rid of the substrate --- from what I understand coconut soil is not good for them as far as fiber I am not sure but its good its going-- I think the soil is known for causing RI in dragons-- the sooner the fixture is replaced the better w/ it not having a reflector on it hes not getting any UVB--- if you can take a piece of decor and place directly under it till you can get one w/ a reflector -- I understand it can take time w/ getting things as they are expensive -- he will like sitting on your bar as it would be a good place for him to watch things and be social -
Karrie
Hi! I agree about loose substrate, will be gone within the week. I have moved the uvb right next to his basking light. If he's on the hammock, he's getting both. He spends at least 75% of his day in his hammock. Was looking at attaching the uvb under the top but it would end up 4-5 inches from his head. Not sure what to do about it yet. I'll bet money it needs to be replaced. Son has spares, etc, think I'll snag a new one from their house. ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Move the decor approx 6-8 inches from basking-- its easier to move the decor after you get the fixture placed
Karrie

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":1xikb4v1 said:
Move the decor approx 6-8 inches from basking-- its easier to move the decor after you get the fixture placed
Karrie

My mechanic is still out with the flu, so I have the afternoon to figure it out.
Thanks Kerrie.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
106785-8336389637.jpg
KarrieRee":3knvchdc said:
Karrie
Put tube inside on angle similar to hammock. Will try pics, see if you think it's ok.
In his usual spot it will make him 6-8 inches from tube
106785-4404992191.jpg

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":2bbadjam said:
Hi Dee,

That should be fine :)

-Brandon
Thanks hon. All the stuff I've ordered, ie ir temp gun, worms, etc should be coming in tomorrow and Friday.
Gonna snag a new tube from son's house over Christmas holidays since I'll be back and forth every day taking care of their zoo and mine. He has replacements. ? And theyre going on vacation. ? LOL!
Have a good night.
-Dee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom