This is Columbia! Does he seem healthy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziranos

I have tons of experience with cats, dogs and rodents, but reptiles are completely new to me. Columbia is also my very first self owned pet, and it’s overall a very exiting experience! I’m already deeply in love with this little guy.
He’s 7 months old and roughly 35 cm - I haven’t measured him yet as he’s a bit skittish. We brought him home on Wednesday, so he’s extremely stressed from moving as you can see.

Link to my husbandry post

105941-9152578348.jpg
105941-1376284431.jpg
105941-3042180790.jpg

The seller said Columbia is finishing up a shed, and I think I can see some on his tail and on one of his legs. (Can add more pics!). I haven’t misted or bathed him yet, and he doesn’t have a water dish. Should I try to give him a bath, or just wait a week or two and keep an eye on the shed? I don’t want to cause him unnecessary stress!
I also feel like I see something weird on/under his lower eyelid. Is it just my imagination?

About his behavior - as far as I’ve read, it’s normal for them to have a reduced appetite and low activity levels after relocation. Is this correct? I’ve fed him about 20 medium crickets in total since bringing him home, he’s slow at hunting them, but with some encouragement he happily chows down. Doesn’t seem too keen on food though, I assume this will pass after some weeks.
About 90% of the time so far, he’s been basking, mostly with his eyes closed. Every few minutes he will open them and take a look around. He seems alert, and reacts to sound and to me walking past his enclosure. I’ve seen him exploring a couple times, walking around and licking stuff - what a delight to watch! He’s only done this for a few minutes at a time, returning to his basking spot after.

His first day home, I tried hand feeding him some greens and blueberries. He accepted a couple greens, but hissed at the blueberry offering. Since then, he hasn’t shown any signs of aggression, but he’s quite wary of my hand. If I move slowly, he’ll tolerate it. If I’m too quick, he skitters off. I think I’ll stop hand feeding greens, I’ve heard this can cause them to become spoiled and only accept hand fed greens. But when feeding crickets, I don’t think I can avoid having to put my hand in his tank. The crickets seem to either stand so still that Columbia doesn’t get interested, or hop off and hide under the decorations or the newspaper. I have to nudge them out and into his line of sight for him to hunt them, and sometimes even then he’ll just close his eyes and not give a crap.

I also have some extensive questions about staple foods and feeding schedule - should I make a thread in the Feeders subforum or just in this thread?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok so yes hes gonna go thru relocation stress --- so lets review your tank set up what do you have for lighting in the tank ? UVB brand and bulb please and where in the tank on top of screen or inside the tank is it a coil or a tube? What are his basking temps and how are you taking them infrared heat gun stick ons or digital probe? Keep feeding by hand only a few things it will get him used to your hand --- feed greens first thing in the morning along w/ some BSFL and maybe 3 medium super worms this will get him to the bowl and make sure he sees you putting these in the food bowl - so you want a bowl that the worms cant get out of -- then about 30 minutes later add your staple bugs BSFL are a good staple bug and you can feed as many as you want - also dubia roaches -- make sure your dusting the roaches w/ calcium D3 5 x per week and vitamins 2 x per week -- he should not completely quit eating -- it looks like shed under the eye----- you can mist him w/ a spray bottle to help w/ the shed - you can also wash his greens before serving for extra moisture or water -- that will keep him hydrated - also make sure your staple feeders are gut loaded meaning well fed so he can get hydration thru them as well -- his pee and poop are going to tell you if hes hydrated -- since your feeding crickets you can disable them by pulling one leg off and put them in w/ the vegies so he can eat them out of the bowl also for an afternoon feeding you can let him chase them if he wants but you want him eating out of that bowl so he eats vegies too
Karrie

Ziranos

Original Poster
KarrieRee":8xqr3m1y said:
Ok so yes hes gonna go thru relocation stress --- so lets review your tank set up what do you have for lighting in the tank ? UVB brand and bulb please and where in the tank on top of screen or inside the tank is it a coil or a tube? What are his basking temps and how are you taking them infrared heat gun stick ons or digital probe? Keep feeding by hand only a few things it will get him used to your hand --- feed greens first thing in the morning along w/ some BSFL and maybe 3 medium super worms this will get him to the bowl and make sure he sees you putting these in the food bowl - so you want a bowl that the worms cant get out of -- then about 30 minutes later add your staple bugs BSFL are a good staple bug and you can feed as many as you want - also dubia roaches -- make sure your dusting the roaches w/ calcium D3 5 x per week and vitamins 2 x per week -- he should not completely quit eating -- it looks like shed under the eye----- you can mist him w/ a spray bottle to help w/ the shed - you can also wash his greens before serving for extra moisture or water -- that will keep him hydrated - also make sure your staple feeders are gut loaded meaning well fed so he can get hydration thru them as well -- his pee and poop are going to tell you if hes hydrated -- since your feeding crickets you can disable them by pulling one leg off and put them in w/ the vegies so he can eat them out of the bowl also for an afternoon feeding you can let him chase them if he wants but you want him eating out of that bowl so he eats vegies too
Karrie

You've already replied to my husbandry setup, there's a link to it on the top of this thread.

I have an Exo Terra digital thermometer on the warm side, and an Exo Terra digital thermometer/hygrometer on the cool side. I have a mini infrared thermometer to measure the basking temps, they sit at round 38-40 degrees C.

Thanks for the cricket tip! And I'll start misting

I'm looking for places/sites to buy BSFL and other staple bugs from, but at the moment I only have access to crickets and mealworms at my local stores. I've seen dubias at one store, but at the moment they only have adults and tiny babies. I'm not buying mealworms until he's older. I'm in Norway, so no use suggesting American/UK stores/sites.
I found a couple private sellers in my country for different sized dubias, so next week I'll probably get him some of those :D

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Oops sorry I missed the link--- ok the only thing I can tell you is have you googled BSFL in your country - since I am in the states the websites I have would be no good to you -- I googled it and all can find is dried --- I know kingofknobbys lives in UK maybe he can help
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He looks pretty healthy to me. It's a good sign that he is alert and enjoying his basking time. He will probably settle in soon and develop a routine. Having his new UVB will help too. Over time it will get easier for you to read his body language and get an idea for what is mood is. We can help with feeding schedules too. Probably best to separate the question into a new thread in the feeding subforum just to keep things a bit more sorted so we don't skip over anything by mistake.

Ziranos

Original Poster
KarrieRee":q6i5trs3 said:
Oops sorry I missed the link--- ok the only thing I can tell you is have you googled BSFL in your country - since I am in the states the websites I have would be no good to you -- I googled it and all can find is dried --- I know kingofknobbys lives in UK maybe he can help
Karrie

I just had a Googling session on BSFL, didn't find much, not even a Norwegian name for them. But I figured out that I can buy dubias, crickets and superworms online quite easily and cheap, there's several private sellers. I also found wax worms and butterworms, might order some in the future to give as treats - I know they shouldn't be used as staples!
I'm still going to look for European stores and try to find some that ship to Norway, as I'd very much like to use BSFL as my staple, together with dubias. I don't like the crickets at all so far, hahah.

CooperDragon":q6i5trs3 said:
He looks pretty healthy to me. It's a good sign that he is alert and enjoying his basking time. He will probably settle in soon and develop a routine. Having his new UVB will help too. Over time it will get easier for you to read his body language and get an idea for what is mood is. We can help with feeding schedules too. Probably best to separate the question into a new thread in the feeding subforum just to keep things a bit more sorted so we don't skip over anything by mistake.

Thanks, I'll do that! As a fresh beardie owner, both me and the little dragon are almost equally stressed, LOL.

Edit: I found this!
https://www.agrigrub.co.uk/
Seems like they ship internationally, but the shipping is quite expensive (35 GBP)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Sounds good --- you can use butterworms and supers as lures to the food bowl and dubias as staple
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You might run into problems shipping live insects internationally. The UK tends to have very good options for supplies (Swell Reptiles great for lighting, enclosures, etc.). I don't know of any equipment suppliers in Norway but it's good that you are able to find private sellers for insects.

Ziranos

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1tbu0nbp said:
You might run into problems shipping live insects internationally. The UK tends to have very good options for supplies (Swell Reptiles great for lighting, enclosures, etc.). I don't know of any equipment suppliers in Norway but it's good that you are able to find private sellers for insects.

There's a fair amount of equipment suppliers around, I haven't ran into any issues finding what I need (yet) :)

Should I avoid buying live feeders online from outside my country? As far as I understand, the temperatures can pose a risk, and you might get a whole lot of dead insects, but doesn't some sellers use heat packs to avoid that?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The heat packs and insulated boxes can help protect the bugs, but extreme cold or heat will harm them even with proper packaging. Shipping across international borders may also face restrictions so you may need to look into that first.

Ziranos

Original Poster
CooperDragon":kv0rqet3 said:
The heat packs and insulated boxes can help protect the bugs, but extreme cold or heat will harm them even with proper packaging. Shipping across international borders may also face restrictions so you may need to look into that first.

Alright - might just have to stick with dubias and crickets then! I might try ordering some when spring comes around. I know that other people have bought live feeders from European sellers, and as far as I can see it’s allowed. But in any case, no use buying if they don’t survive the trip :/

Ziranos

Original Poster
claudiusx":3uo6onpg said:
Well, you've gotten good advice so just welcoming you and Columbia :)

-Brandon

Thanks!

105941-5789414649.jpg

He's enjoying his log :) he's also very much enjoying pooping on his basking rock... cooking it so he knows I can smell it. What a stinker :/

Also, I took a few pictures today to try to determine his sex. To me he seems like a male, I can see two bulges near his vent. It might be unclear in the picture, I can take a couple more if needed!

105941-6321614915.jpg
105941-8034183285.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom