New dragon owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

kate909

Hi everyone. I've been here reading non-stop since my bearded dragon impulse buy on Oct. 19 (I know, I know - if I could go back and do it all over, it would be very different.)

Soooo, we were at Petco to get a hamster for my son, and they were having a 50% off sale. We walked out with a Beardie and starter tank. I went home, googled, and promptly returned the whole setup the next day.

Our Beardie (still no name - open to suggestions!) is now living in a 40 gal breeder tank. I have the ReptiSun 10.0 T5 on top of the screen (still wondering about this - although from what I've read, the T5 should go on top?). We're using a 90w floodlight for heat. The basking area (hammock and sometimes tree branch) is between 100-105 measured with a heat gun. I don't feel like the one floodlight is doing enough for the rest of the tank. Just outside the basking area, it can measure anywhere from 80-85. The cool side is definitely too cool at 70. I'd love some recommendations to fix this. I've tried to find a 100w bulb, but they don't seem to exist anymore.
106417-2322230051.jpg

Substrate is shelf liner for now. I bought 2 18x18 tiles at Lowe's but I can find anyone to cut the 1" off so that they will fit in the tank (Lowe's told me they cannot cut tile that big on their in-store cutter).

Beardie has been eating a diet of crickets dusted with calcium - about 30 spread out through the day. I offer salad every morning (sorry it looks so wilty in the picture, it was evening and time for it to be removed) and so far, he has eaten sweet potato, red bell pepper (only once) and one piece of collard greens if I hand feed it to him.

Today, my BSFL and dubias are arriving. I'm excited to try them out and see what he likes. I got an escape-proof dish from Symtom and I'm hoping putting the BSFL in with the salad will encourage him to eat a little of it on his own.

I'm very concerned that the stress marks on his belly are not going away. They fade a little - they almost went away when I first got the hammock (Oct. 25), but now every time I check him, they are still there - which is why I'm wondering if the T5 should be inside the tank? I have the hammock mounted so he is 6"-8" away from his lights.
106417-8692531758.jpg
106417-4343000292.jpg

He has been eating and pooping every day - I've given him 3 baths since I got him to make sure he's hydrated and he's pooped in there every time. He's also pooped in his tank on non-bath days. I'm not sure if he likes the bath or not, but I figured it was good to get him started on them early - and also for hydration since he's not eating much salad.

I weighed and measured him on Oct. 22 - he was 21 grams and 8.5 inches. He's due to be measured today. I hope he's grown some!

He hung out with me for a little while the other night, and seemed to take a little nap. I'm hoping he was comfortable and not scared - thoughts?
106417-2000999479.jpg

I'm excited to be here and welcome any and all comments and suggestions. :D

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Welcome -------tank set up looks good and the T 5 is good where its at- the basking area temp only needs to be where it is at -- meaning it does not need to heat the whole tank - cool side of the tank should be in the 80's -- you can try putting a regular house hold bulb 60 watt on the cool side of tank and see if it will get it to 80 or so -- I have a 60 watt on my cool side and temps usually range in the 80's - it will also brighten up that dark side of tank - it sounds like you got the idea of how to get him to start eating his salads - BSFL are a good enticement to the salad bowl - you can also use treat worms a few like 3 or so to get him into it as well -- you can try some smaller size tile pieces if you want to use tile - we went w/ a longer piece like this and our Home Depot does not cut tile here at all so we ended up buying a tile cutter that we found cheap - it works well
97951-666388767.jpg
Karrie

kate909

Original Poster
Thanks Karrie for the idea on the tile, I'll see what else I can find.
Any thoughts on the stress marks on his belly?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
He will have them for awhile- they may come and go- he will go thru relocation stress- as long as he's eating basking and pooping he should be fine-
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sorry for the late welcome, but Welcome! Haha.

Hey, things happen and it sounds like now you are off to a great start. He should start to lighten up as he settles into his new environment more.

Keep posting up pictures of him, I'm sure that will help :lol:
Ok fine, it's just us. We like pictures here :)

Glad to have you on the site :)

-Brandon

kate909

Original Poster
claudiusx":3f1dkmkb said:
Sorry for the late welcome, but Welcome! Haha.

Hey, things happen and it sounds like now you are off to a great start. He should start to lighten up as he settles into his new environment more.

Keep posting up pictures of him, I'm sure that will help :lol:
Ok fine, it's just us. We like pictures here :)

Glad to have you on the site :)

-Brandon
Thanks for the welcome Brandon!
Pictures? I love pictures too, so I'll be sure to post lots! Here's one of some sweet snuggles ...
106417-8717608670.jpg

Also, he really liked the BSFL and Dubias - getting him to use the bowl in going to take time. He likes to chase his food around his enclosure :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom