New baby dragon mother!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaeMac

Hi, newbie dragon mom here. I've had my lil boy just over a week. I was told he was between 9 and 10 weeks but from some of the posts I've browsed on here and fb he seems small. We (my children and I) havent settled on a name yet. Falcor is my favourite lol. My girls like Smaug and Dart. Yes we are big nerds lol.

I've wanted a bearded dragon for years but never planned on getting one so young and I am finding myself losing sleep, worrying constantly and paranoid. So I'm here to make sure I dont feel so alone and lost on this new journey I thought I was prepared for... but all the research hasn't prepared me for actual hands on experience.

My little guy is precious. Hes a Hypo Trans Het Zero morph apparently lol. Sadly I'm not that versed in morphs but that was the only morph the reptile store had atm. I found his lack of colouring fascinating. I wasn't planning on buying right away but this little guy was so interested in my daughter and she was so hyper focused on him.

My biggest concerns right now are the fact hes had baberly any greens. I've tried Kale, dandelion and parsley. I'm trying collared greens tomorrow. I was told to wait till he was eating his greens well before introducing fruit like mango and veggies like sweet potato. He loves his crickets though.
[/img]

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welcome!

Congrats on your new baby! Cant wait to see pictures.

Wow that is quite the genetic makeup for a petstore dragon. I take it it's a local petstore, not a chain?

If you have any questions just ask! It's what we're here for :)
Collards have always been a favorite of all of my dragons.
Babies in particular are a bit tougher to get to eat greens, but they should always be offered it, so keep trying :)

-Brandon

RaeMac

Original Poster
Thanks. I got him at Reptile Wrangler in Ontario. They breed them on site or at the owners home. They are great. I went to them when I had tree frogs and a crested gecko years ago. I wont buy reptiles from pet stores here. The petsmarts and other chains here seem to be clueless and I hate how they house them.

How do I post pics from my phone gallery? I couldn't find that option. Also how do I get to my profile or does this forum not have unique profiles like other reptile forums?

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
RaeMac":277w1291 said:
Hi, newbie dragon mom here.
I am finding myself losing sleep, worrying constantly and paranoid.
Yeah, we get that a lot here. :wink:
My first rule has become, if it isn't an emergency (which can be highly subjective), CALM DOWN. Most issues are addressable, and these are hardy little buggers.

I wasn't planning on buying right away but this little guy was so interested in my daughter
Does your daughter bear any resemblance to a cricket? :lol:

Don't mind me--overactive sense of humor makes me a bit of a horse's patoot. It's genetic. :mrgreen:

My biggest concerns right now are the fact hes had baberly any greens. I've tried Kale, dandelion and parsley.
I'd hold off on the kale & parsley. They're high(er) in oxalates, which means they can be calcium binders. Your young charge has a higher need for calcium at this age due to his growth rate.
Here's one guide to Bearded Dragon Nutrition; others may recommend other sites as well.

At this age, your l'il guy will likely be more interested in live prey anyway. He needs the higher protein (along with calcium, D3, other vitamins, and UV-B). When babies/young the recommended ratio of live feeders to greens vegetables is 80/20. By the time he's an adult, it will shift to 20/80.

Proper lighting & temps (basking, "hot side", "cool side", and nighttime) will be very important in raising a happy, healthy BD, and this site is stinkin' with info & opinions on those.

Since you've kept herps before, you already know that good husbandry starts with education. There's plenty out there & here. Two of the best tools I've found here are the archives and Similar Topics suggestions at the bottom of each page (below the ads).

Also feel free to ask away.

Did I mention Welcome to the Site? :roll:

RaeMac

Original Poster
Thanks for the Welcome. I have UVA basking and UVB lights and a red heat light for night in one side just in case as it been getting cold as my basement gets cold and nights have been dropping to around 10 degrees celcius here in Ontario. Once I figure out how to post pics I can show the set up.

So asking again lol.. is there a way to upload pics right from phone photo's? No Idea how to post pics...

Do we have user profiles here to make albums of our dragons and set a user profile pic?

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
RaeMac":34cvv0q1 said:
So asking again lol.. is there a way to upload pics right from phone photo's? No Idea how to post pics...

Do we have user profiles here to make albums of our dragons and set a user profile pic?
Yes, there are user profiles with all that. I don't have a smart phone (yup, I'm the one! :lol: ) so I have to get them off my camera SD. I imaging the process is similar. Use the User Image Uploader on the horizontal menu bar across the top of the screen. It's pretty intuitive (if I can do it :p ). It'll upload your pics to your album. From there you can select an image and post with the [XIMG]image[/XIMG] code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom