New baby help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mari881

105935-6927483012.jpg
105935-2818859988.jpg

Hi all! We got Spike on Monday from Petsmart. I thought they knew what they were talking about at the time but know better now after reading the resources here. They told me to feed him 1-2 crickets per day. Clearly that’s wrong since he’s so tiny. I plan to buy a ton of crickets today to increase his intake. However, I have seen no poop since he came home? Is this normal in the first few days?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there and welcome!

It is normal for the first few days for them to have low appetites. If they aren't eating they wont be pooping.

If you want, we could go over your setup with you to make sure your little one has the best start it can get :)

Make sure you are feeding him baby crickets. Or other insects that are appropriately sized. You are right, they need much more food than that.

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Hi Mari and Welcome,

He's a cute little guy, and that tree thingy in the enclosure looks really cool--I've never seen one like that before.

Crickets are ok (but they can get stinky, and don't live long), but there are many other feeders you can also try at some point. Varied diets are good--similar to how they'd eat in the wild.

Glad you've been reading up. Because these li'l buggers are the most popular pet lizards in the world, there are tons of info here, elsewhere on the web, social media, videos, and more. Some is excellent--some... not, but like PS, you'll figure that out, and you can always ask--this is a friendly & forgiving place.

Best wishes

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

That will be great, upgrading your uvb bulb :)

Remember at night they need complete darkness to sleep. No lights sty all. You only need to provide heat at night to them if your house drops below 60 at night.

-Brandon

Mari881

Original Poster
Wait, I thought they needed the UV B at night? Its like a black light... Should both lights be on during the day only then?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
No lights at all at night. Uvb bulb and heat bulb during the day only :)

That blue/black light doesnt produce any uvb anyways. It's just a colored bulb.

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
That's correct--no lights at night whatsoever. They need a dark & cooler nighttime.

The basking light should be on 14 hrs during summer months, around 12 during winter.
The UV-B can come on 2 hrs after the basking light, and turn off 2 hrs before the basking light (so it'll be on 10 hrs during summer months).

There's more info in the Enclosures section.

Mari881

Original Poster
Holy cow! I thought the black light was a UV B light! Already ordered the one I saw recommended on here. So, I do not need that colored light at all, for anything, correct?

Thanks so much for your help!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Correct! :)

The colored bulbs really shouldn't be used for dragons at all.

The 2 things you need (and 1 you might) are:
  • A bright basking bulb that produces the temperatures you need.
    A UVB-producing bulb, such as the reptisun 10.0 tube or arcadia tube
    And possibly ({if your house temps get below 60 at night) a CHE

-Brandon

Mari881

Original Poster
Hi all,

So unfortunately, Spike didn’t make it :( we had him just shy of 30 days and when we got up one day he had passed. Now that I know more, he was probably way too young in the first place. He was so tiny compared to others I’ve seen. He never really had a big appetite or grew very much.

Because my kids were devastated, and really wanted another beardie, we got a new one today. He’s older, bigger, and came home with a good appetite. I’m hopeful he will do well with us. I’ll post about him soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom