Dinday, my new lizard friend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waterlily

New to all of this. I recently started working in a pet store and one of the baby bearded dragons was injured by his 2 other tank mates, so they gave me the injured one. His foot was bitten and he has only one toe left on that back foot... Anyway, I have been reading this forum like a bible every night after work to make sure I make a proper home for the little thing, as I knew nothing about them until 2 weeks ago. He is in a 55 gallon aquarium that I already had, he has a heat lamp (only one for now but I am getting another soon), I have a T8 10.0 reptisun UVB in a blacklight light fixture I bought at walmart for 12.50 mounted in his tank at the top but within about 8 inches of his basking spot, which at present is his hammock. A digital thermometer probe mounted just below the basking spot. His tank stays in the upper 80s during the day and at night its always at 72 F. Basking spot is low 90s, hence why I need another heat lamp. I built him a dome of sorts out of a cardboard box that I extended to fit the opening of the tank and lined it with aluminum foil to bounce the heat back down and bring the temperature up to requirement, the box covers the heatlamp (with ample space around the heat lamp so as not to be a fire hazard) that is clamped to the side with a 100w bulb, it also serves to block any air from the vent in the wall from dropping the temps further while still allowing fresh air to circulate inside his tank. The other side is covered by the aquarium hood to keep the heat in. He currently has a large hide on the cool side of the tank that he hasnt used yet but Im sure he will. He gets fresh water daily using the blue water conditioner for reptiles to make it safe. He is misted before work using the same treated water and after work he gets his bath in a bowl of treated heated tap water. Warm but not hot. He is currently shedding on his tail which I am determined to see as a good sign because if Im correct shedding means growing. He usually doesnt eat a lot but he will take about 5 crickets a day, all dusted with D3 powder. I think he will eat more now that he has the UVB and when he stops shedding. I have a large Granite rock in the middle that he seems to love to climb up on and jump off of to his mopani log that leads to his hammock. The top of the hammock is about 8 inches from both the UVB tube and the heatlamp... Too close? I turn the lights off around 9pm and back on around 8am before work. His substrate right now till we can do better is construction paper and packing paper. I clean his foot every night after his bath with iodine and he seems to be healing well. He sits with me until he starts darting every which way and trying to crawl out of my hands. I try to hand feed him but he usually wont take anything. We tried greens once so far and he wasnt interested. Im going to buy some kale tomorrow and try again. Anyway, I will post some more photos soon. This has gotten long but thank you to anyone who actually read all that. And thank you all for continuing to share your knowledge and answer questions. It has helped more than you know because I am sure I am not the only newbie lurking and reading your answers rather than posting. ??
105874-904677650.jpg

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welcome to the site!

Im glad you were able to rescue him :)
He is so tiny!

You should place the probe on top of the mesh instead of under it to get your basking surface temp.
The reptisun you bought is a long tube? Or a screw in. I got confused only because you stated you bought a blacklight fixture for it.

His appetite should continue to increase as time goes on and he gets more comfortable. The change in husbandry will also start to help.

Hope to see more pics and hear of more progress soon! :D

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
+1
claudiusx":smxhmja2 said:
I got confused only because you stated you bought a blacklight fixture for it.
Brandon's too young to remember the '70s. OTOH, it's been said that "If you remember the '70s, you weren't really there..." :lol:

Waterlily

Original Poster
I took the basking temp and then moved the probe so it wasnt in his way but I can put it back. His UVB is a T8 tube. I also moved his hammock down a bit because he was really close to the ceremic heat lamp. Although he liked it there I didnt know if that was too close. Temps were perfect when he was a little closer but like 6 inches from the heat lamp worried me.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I can take a few pics today of his enclosure. I will be removing the granite as he gets larger because its really big and as he grows I dont want him getting stuck beside it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Make sure your UVB is inside the tank approx 6-8 inches from basking spot--- his basking light should be a bright white bulb that keeps temps 105-110 taken w/ the probe sitting on that spot he sits-- NO colored bulbs!!!!!!!!!!!! They are bad for the eyes of the dragon and disturb their sleep if on at night --
what is the wattage of the bulb you have in now for basking?
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom