Meet Draco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave47164

Named after Sean Connery's character in Dragonheart, Draco came home with us a couple days ago after a couple trip to the pet store and some research as my 7 year old daughter is a lover of all animals and says she is going to be a vet when she gets older...

69447826_10214872506426650_3944559386973700096_n.jpg

We are still getting him/her settled in and have questions that I will be reading through here to get the answers to hopefully as I have heard contradictions on various things.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Dave47164":lnibcedo said:
We are still getting him/her settled in and have questions that I will be reading through here to get the answers to hopefully as I have heard contradictions on various things.
First, Welcome.

You will indubitably find/get answers, :study: however you may still encounter some contradictions... maybe more like differences of opinion. That's not (necessarily) a bad thing. While there are some facts regarding these funny little reptiles, there's some wiggle room with regard to care, feeding, etc. partly because--like other pets (and humans)--they are individuals, with individual personalities, preferences, etc. That's part of what makes them (allegedly) the most popular pet reptile in the world. :)

For example, IMO (and those of others here) the first issue you should nail down is proper lighting & heating of his/her enclosure, along with size of enclosure. (And there is seemingly no end to those discussions! :roll: :lol: ) IME, opinions differ on minimum/recommended enclosure size; opinions on lighting, heating, and humidity seem to align more.

So ask away! And don't forget the Search facility (in the top right corner of your screen), and the list of Similar Topics at the bottom of each thread page (in green below the ads).

I'm relatively new here myself, but the abundance of information and friendly advice (even when contradictory/differing) is appreciable. :)

Dave47164

Original Poster
I was curious to know when the last time he shed was when I was writing the original post yesterday.. Well, Draco decided that today was the day evidently I noticed a little bit on a hind leg and later today I take a look and there is a ball of skin in his enclosure, mostly from his belly it looks like. The back is patchy and have to inspect the rest tomorrow.

I am not totally happy with the enclosure that I got from the pet store as it is too small and opens from the top...

I am planning to build a larger enclosure once I have my bathroom remodel completed... Something that opens from the front and easier to clean. overall this slide top with all the 3 light fixtures is getting old quick, It does have a feeder door so that is easy but still a pain to removed things...

I am working to retrofitting the house with smart outlets and lighting and plan to add temperature and humidity sensors to control additional lighting if needed as well to the to keep a record on each critter's Zone real time...

LMG07

Dave47164":1d9z5v4q said:
I was curious to know when the last time he shed was when I was writing the original post yesterday.. Well, Draco decided that today was the day evidently I noticed a little bit on a hind leg and later today I take a look and there is a ball of skin in his enclosure, mostly from his belly it looks like. The back is patchy and have to inspect the rest tomorrow.

I am not totally happy with the enclosure that I got from the pet store as it is too small and opens from the top...

I am planning to build a larger enclosure once I have my bathroom remodel completed... Something that opens from the front and easier to clean. overall this slide top with all the 3 light fixtures is getting old quick, It does have a feeder door so that is easy but still a pain to removed things...

I am working to retrofitting the house with smart outlets and lighting and plan to add temperature and humidity sensors to control additional lighting if needed as well to the to keep a record on each critter's Zone real time...

That sounds amazing and like a good plan.

Once you get them home and settled, it's easy to see what you don't like. I knew I didn't want to move the lights and accommodated for that, but I'm still upgrading sooner than expected.

We thought our terrarium would last us until Christmas, but we are starting the new build in the next couple weeks. My guy is growing too fast and is already annoyed at the lack of space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom