New Beardie Mom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sdonley

Hey all. I'm totally new to owning a beardie. We brought home a baby yesterday. So far she hasn't really eaten any of the calciworms we've offered. She doesn't even seem interested in coming down from her basking rock. I have read this can be normal though for the first few days? Also, I have a 36x18x24 tank with a screen. I'm using a 150 watt bulb but I'm just not sure it's enough. The thermometer says around 90, but I'm waiting on an infrared to get direct reading on the basking spot itself. I've also been reading about mercury vapor bulbs. I was wondering what others with this size tank use/recommended? I just want to make sure our girl is happy and healthy.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Welcome!

Finding the right Heat Bulb can take some trail and error. An infrared gun is a great option to check temps. ZooMed sells fairly simple digital probed thermometers so you can have a couple spots always being measured for temps (about five bucks each roughly). There are also digital thermostats that make sure the hot spot doesn't get too hot, it will turn off heat bulb, can also be used as a timer for consistent lights on/off for day/night cycle. Digital thermostats are an investment $ so research which one might be right for you.

Lots of details in the care guide on this site: https://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/newbies-guide-lighting-help/

Do you have UVB light tube? UVB tube is also crucial so your baby can digest food. Dragons will develop MBD (metabolic bone disease) without UVB tube light. The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Also, screen filters out UVB light, so it is best to mount the light inside of your enclosure. You can do this by getting under-the-counter fluorescent fixture, 3M command hooks, and other options.

Keep offering bugs and vegetables. Give baby time to adjust. It is super normal to take a week or two for dragon to get used to new home

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Also babies go thru relocation stress -- so that probably has a lot to do w/ it as well - but he should not completely quit eating --- get your temps and UVB in order NO coils --- and that will help w/ the not eating --- the size of your tank is a 40 gallon I am thinking - that 150 watt bulb may be too hot for that size of a tank - but yes you do need a accurate temp in that basking area -- others on here will haft to comment on the mercury vapor bulbs I am not savy on them as I have always used the regular bright white basking bulb along w/ the Arcadia 14% bulb for UVB ---
Karrie

Sdonley

Original Poster
Based on what I've researched I think the tank is around 65 gallons due to the height. I think that is the reason the bulb is not putting off enough heat. The highest my digital probe thermometer has detected is 95 degrees with the probe directly on the basking area. My infrared gun should be here tomorrow. I'm going to see what that says and possibly look further into the mercury bulbs then. I'm hoping she just needs a little more time to adjust. She has eaten a worm, but didn't go back for more. She does a lot of glass surfing when shes not basking so I am thinking shes still just stressed from everything. I will continue to offer and see how things go! :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
ok yes you can try lowering the bulb or raise the height of the basking area--- the digital probe should be pretty accurate if your leaving it on his spot for at least 10 minute -- but its always good to have a IR gun as well - the others will haft to help w/ the mercury vapor bulb
Karrie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Sdonley":3u4pe8wb said:
Based on what I've researched I think the tank is around 65 gallons due to the height.
According to the dimensions you mentioned in your OP, that's about right.

She does a lot of glass surfing when shes not basking so I am thinking shes still just stressed from everything. I will continue to offer and see how things go! :)
With your research, you probably know, but for others (myself included) here are a couple of articles on glass surfing, reasons for, and remedies.

How to Stop Glass Surfing in Bearded Dragons
https://www.thesprucepets.com/bearded-dragon-glass-surfing-1238401

8 Surprising Reasons Bearded Dragons Glass Surf (Plus How to Stop It!)
https://reptile.guide/bearded-dragon-glass-surfing/

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sdonley":1r53iy09 said:
Hey all. I'm totally new to owning a beardie.
Welcome to the site and welcome to the beardie world!

You're getting great advice above!

Sdonley":1r53iy09 said:
The highest my digital probe thermometer has detected is 95 degrees with the probe directly on the basking area.
Your probe will be pretty accurate. Make sure you leave it in place for around 10 minutes to get a proper reading. If it does stay 95, you'll want to bump that number up somehow like mentioned. :D

Good luck!

-Brandon

Sdonley

Original Poster
Thank you all for the great advise! I added a 75w bulb to what I had set up and the basking spot warmed up to 100-110. She seems like a happy girl. Took a few greens, but still not very interested in the calciworms. We'll see how things go over the next few days! Thanks again!

-Sam

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
If she doesn't like the calci worms try her on dubias- she needs the protein and you don't want her to go too long w/ out eating-- dubias are a better staple-- feeder than crickets-- easier to keep and last longer
Karrie

Sdonley

Original Poster
Thanks for the recommendation! That was going to be my next try. I just want to give it another day to see if shes just being picky or still adjusting to her new surroundings. Now that the heat has been established I'm hoping to see some progress with feeding tomorrow. She did eat the calciworms but it was only 1 here and 1 there. Nothing as consistent as I'd like to see. Its just tough being new to all this. I feel like it's a guessing game.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Sdonley":1fuza7p7 said:
Its just tough being new to all this. I feel like it's a guessing game.
Perhaps at one time many years ago, but BDs are (according to many sources) the most popular pet reptile on the internet; the community is global, and there is seemingly no limit to available information (and opinions... :roll: ).

Have you got a reptile veterinarian picked out yet?

Sdonley

Original Poster
That is part of the problem though. So much information and so many opinions. Just trying to figure out what works best for my beardie and do right by her. And our current vet does exotics as well. So we're set there. Thanks!

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Sdonley":3qi78wwy said:
That is part of the problem though. So much information and so many opinions.
I get that.. REALLY! :lol: I've been through--and am still going through to some extent--that learning curve. In time, you'll develop a better sense of what sounds reasonable and what sets off your BS detector. Some sources will earn your trust/respect, and others... you won't waste time on anymore. I find this particularly in places like YT (I don't do other social media, but I expect things are similar).

Please don't misconstrue my meaning; differing opinions don't necessarily have to be zero sum (one right and the other wrong)--they're just... different, and that's OK. 8) Other times... :study:

That's Life.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sdonley":qj1hktrb said:
That is part of the problem though. So much information and so many opinions. Just trying to figure out what works best for my beardie and do right by her.

I agree with my spectrum. And your line of thinking is exactly correct. There are many opinions out there. There are many "right" ways to do things. The best you can do though, is learn your dragon. There is so much to learn from watching and studying each of your individual dragons behaviors. You can find out exactly what temperature they like, exactly how often they like to eat, exactly how much they like to eat, how much decoration they like in the tank. The list in endless.

To coattail off of mrspectrum's advice, I'd also suggest staying away from sources who state that there is only one right way. That you have to do it a certain way. That kind of thinking, IMO, greatly dehumanizes the whole experience of owning this creatures. At least for me, one of the things I enjoy about each one of my crew is watching and learning how they are all different. How they all have their own little preferences.

If you do right by your dragon, you don't have to answer to anybody! :D

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom