I REALLY NEED HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.
i do reptile rescue and rehabilitation and i got a beardie with a bad foot its black you can see bones she eats fine im just scared she has some sort of tail rot on her foot i got her along with another dragon (they were separate)and the other is fine but does have some stuck shed she has super bad shedding problems and im planning on taking her to the vet when i wake up 8/23/19 today being the 22nd im just trying to get as much info as i can ive just never seen a beardie this bad it looks like whats left of her foot is gonna fall off to me it looks like past sheds cut her foot off and she got some kind of rot i will be posting pics soon i just would like some more reptile peoples inputs...sorry grammar people i hate typing :shock: :silent: im just feel super bad for her but i know i can rehabillitate her and find her forever home UPDATE::::::8/23/19 i went in to river side vet in provo ut and they said her foot is dead and i will need to come back for a amputation for her on8/26/19 vecasue the reptile doctor wasnt in and thank you to everyone that commented i will be posting pic of before and after when i have the after pics i was wondering if theres any monitization if i post pic will i get in trouble or no and for anyone curious to know what is wrong with her it is necrosis in the foot im just happy its not further up her arm or torso area the lady i ralked to at the hospital told me to just keep her cage clean til Monday

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Get the pics posted as soon as possible and I would send them to Tracie--Drache613 - private message her - she is not here till late at nite --- hopefully she will see them before tonite- some others on here can look at it as well -- and I would post this in beard ER
Karrie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
austinreptilerescue":l6yf27sc said:
im just trying to get as much info as i can

For starters, I'd Google: necrotic tissue in reptiles and start reading.
I'd give more weight to articles/sites by veterinarians than others.
Then click on videos at the top of the Google page, and watch some videos on the same subject, which will likely have better pics. Same caveat.

Best wishes.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Call your local vets and veterinary hospitals. They would have info on any local avian/reptile vet in your area.

I would advise against relying on the affected area to drop without assistance. See a vet in person. A vet with reptile training and experience, especially any surgical history preferred.

For infection control you can use Makuna honey, get one organic labeled as that has been tested more rigorously for contamination. Other choices the vet may recommend are Original Neosporin (no anesthetics, do not get the one marked with pain relief), Betadine, 0.05% Chlorhexidine solution, or Silver sulfadiazine cream. Maybe a combination. I have experience with human wounds, for context why I say these products for reptiles, contacting a vet is your priority. I do know reptile wounds heal more slowly, since the metabolism slows so much after dark and in cool temps. Check the care sheets to make sure your husbandry is on point. The dragon will need access to proper heat, UVB lighting, and offer a varied diet supplemented with calcium dust and multivitamin age appropriate to the dragon. Rapashy grub pie for food can be food if you need assisted feeding. A minimal environment on paper towel substrate, hides, and basking spot would be something, surfaces that can easily be cleaned/sanitized.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
As mentioned you'll want to keep the wound clean and as sanitized as possible using a topical ointment. It sounds like infection has set in though so the foot may need to be amputated. If the necrotic tissue is removed and the infection stopped, it should heal over and be OK in the long run. It's important to get treatment quickly though so hopefully you are able to get in soon as an emergency case. Please keep us posted on how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom