Newcomer here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I haven’t got a beardie yet but am planning on getting one around January. I joined here to see if my plan is all good and learn more information. I’m currently planning on getting a 40 gallon breeder(he or she is a juvenile about 4 months) with non adhesive shelf liner and tile mixture or just tile. A long uvb bulb and basking bulb and I have a nighttime heat lamp as well from my leopard gecko before I got her an uth heater if needed although I keep the temp at 78-79 because I’m always cold. I have access to crickets, mealworms, superworms, earthworms, and waxworms all from a local pet store. Would leaving the greens and veggies out with the prepared pellet food all the time and then feeding insects daily be sufficient, I’ve found very mixed information on the proper feeding for the juveniles. I’m also planning to get a hide, basking area(rock or wood) and a hammock. Please let me know if any of this is wrong or if you have any other suggestions.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welcome to the site!

Doing your research ahead of time is going to save you a ton of money and headache in the long run!

Spend a lot of time reading here and you will be thankful you did! Lots of info up for grabs here :)

Your setup sounds fine! The only thing I would nix is the nighttime bulb. Since it was for your gecko I assume it's a red or blue/black bulb? Dragons need complete darkness at night. So if you need extra heat at night you would want a ceramic heat emitter as they produce heat but no visible light. In addition to that, you dont need supplemental heat at night unless your house drops below 60 at night. A cooling off period during the night is good for them.

In regards to feeding, you should offer him a fresh salad daily, and a juvie should be offered live feeders 2 or so times a day. and allowed to eat as much as he wants in those feedings. You can add the pellets to the salads if you want, but most of us dont like those pellets around here. Whole foods are usually better! :)

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom