New to group

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
My name is Brandon I just joined the group and wanted to say thank you for being here for a resource. I had a few questions that I would love some advice on. I admit I didn't do enough research before purchasing my beardie and I went to a local reptile shop and came home with a 36x18x12h tank which I know now is not big enough but from their reccomdation I was told would be fine ugh. Now I know it's not. And also a megaray 100watt sb. I then started to research on your site and purchased a reptisun 36inch hood with a 34inch t5 10.0 and a 65 watt halogen flood. My question is with a 12inch high tank his basking site is a chunk of granite that puts him about 9-10 inches away from tube and has an area he can about 6 inches away. I can post pics but I'm not sure how to do that yet I'm kind of a dinosaur when it comes to technology lol. Is this setup ok for him I love him so much and want the best for him. Any advice would be appreciated and thanks for allowing me to be apart of this group. -Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welcome Brandon, I'm Brandon too, lol.

To post pictures you can use this link https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/
Once you upload your picture, just copy and paste the XIMG code to your post, and it will show up as your picture once posted.

Will you be placing the t5 on top of a screen, or is it going to be unobstructed? Unobstructed at 6 inches from the basking surface is too close for a T5, but it's ok if their is a screen in the way to block some of the UV. The T5's put out some strong UV, so you don't want your dragon to be able to get too close.

Ideally, a T5 isn't really too suitable for a 12 inch tall tank, but since you already have it, now might be a good time to upgrade your tank :)
You could get a 40G breeder, which gives you another 6 inches in height. I just had to pick up another one of these for another project i'm working on and it set me back 90 bucks at petco. Or you can look into building/buying a 4x2x2 which is a good size for a dragon as it can stay in it its whole life.

PS, make sure you post pictures of your guy so we can all see him :mrgreen:

-Brandon

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
105031-142862178.jpg
105031-8719006250.jpg

Thanks Brandon for your reply I think I posted the pictures correctly. Yes the t5 is through a screen and the rock on the right is where his basking site is. On the left side I had a friend build a cave platform he can get out of the light. I will be getting him a 4x2x2 eventually.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Awesome! It being ontop of the screen should make it just about perfect so that's good. If you see him starting to try to hide from it more and more, or not bask as much, you can make some adjustments but I think it will be ok for now :D

Oh he is a big boy, I was expecting a Juvie. What's his name?

-Brandon

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
His name is Rubble my son loves paw patrol lol. He is 10 months old and is growing like a weed. So you think I'm ok with this setup for a while until I get him a bigger enclosure. I had one more question as far as heat goes his basking spot is 98 to 104 on the rock surface and has a gradient as you move away from the rock these temperatures are taken with an iron temp gun. Should I be concerned with checking ambient temperature with a probe thermometer or am I ok with going off surface temps.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh, Should have figured his name was Rubble haha.
He looks like he's pretty close to outgrowing it if he hasn't already, But I don't think you need to rush out and go buy a new tank right now. Whenever you can, I really think he'll appreciate the extra space.

Your temperatures are great! Usually if your basking surface temp is good, the rest of your tank will be good. Assuming your house isn't overly hot/cold, and the tank isn't a small 10g or something lol. You can use a probe to measure, but it's not necessary really. If your temp gun reads an acceptable range on the cool side, that's ok. Ambient air and surface temp shouldn't be far off each other on the cool end anyways.

-Brandon

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
Thanks again for the I would love to get him a new enclosure now but with one son and another daughter on the way it's not in our budget now but will be sooner than later. I was wondering if I need to be concerned with testing uvb with a solar meter. I am using the charts taterbug posted to setup my tank. I live in central Oregon and don't know anyone to borrow one from and forking out 250$ for one now isn't realistic.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's not a necessity at all. That's what we base our recommendations for distance off of, testing their outputs.
Really for a general every day hobbyist, they only come in handy for potentially saving you money in the long run from having to replace bulbs. You can measure the output to see if you can still get some life out of the bulb or not, otherwise we suggest just sticking to a yearly for the T5s or 6 month replacement schedule for the T8s.

They are a nice luxury, but definitely not a necessity :)

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Not a problem. If you post beardie pictures around here you're entitled to at least a bit of help :mrgreen:

-Brandon

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
Hey may be a dumb question but how do see recent posts to read and get suggestions or ask questions on similar topics. Can you post on old threads or just on new ones.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You can post on old and new threads. If you go to the board index, there's a link at the top of the list of subforums that allows you to look at unread or unanswered posts. I create a bookmark with that link so every time I see the site it displays posts I haven't seen yet https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/search.php?search_id=unreadposts

There is also a list of recent discussions along the right side of the page that shows the most recent discussions across all threads.

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
Sorry one more question how do I get to the image uploader. Brandon gave me a link but I was just wondering if there was an area I could click on to get there

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yup it's at the top of the site, underneath the beardeddragon.org banner.
There is a link to it running down the side of the site too, under the "other fun stuff" header on the side.

If you're on mobile, it's a little harder to get to. What I do is on mobile click the home link, which takes you off the forum and to the homepage, and scroll all the way down to the whats new section and there is a link to the user image uploader there.

Their might be an easier way on mobile, but either way, hopefully Alex (the site owner) can make it a bit easier on us soon. :D

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom