New member, new beard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phluff

Hey all, I'm Phluff. I recently got a bearded dragon, but haven't really had the chance to get on here. I don't have any good pictures of the little fella, as he is still untamed towards me, and generally runs away and hides in his hidey hole. Of course, I don't know his gender yet due to that.

I do have one question to start with:

My beardie has bright blue scales under his jaw on his neck. Is this a sign of stress? And by bright, I mean brilliant. If I could get a nice picture of it, I'd share.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Hello and welcome to the forum!! :D :blob5:

Just how old/long is your Beardie? You can upload photos using this: https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ To upload photos you go to the upload photos option, select the desired photos, Upload them, then go to the forum posts and select the 'XIMG' option and your photos Should show up.

It is a tad bit uncommon for beardies to be blue, Like bright blue as you're describing. The most likely case is that your Beardie is a Translucent Beardie, and they often have Bright blue stomachs and beards due to the mutation making their scales slightly transparent, and it makes their stomachs a bright blue sometimes. They also do sometimes have Alien black eyes I believe (or maybe not, I might be mixing it up with a different morph).

Here's some photos of translucent beardies and a translucent Beardie next to a Normal one. {Photos Courtesy of google.}
View media item 60772
I hope you have a great time with your new dragon and enjoy your time on the forum, feel free to ask any more questions, We're all happy to help. :D

Phluff

Original Poster
I think he is getting used to me, but I'm not too sure. He finally calmed down long enough for me to pet him for a while, but it took a while for him to let me hold him.

104818-3805565876.jpg
104818-8462134748.jpg
104818-83664540.jpg
104818-7773666717.jpg

It also looks like he's either hoarding his food, or he flung it across the tank.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Oh wow, Actually I hate to break it to you but that isn't a bearded dragon, But what appears to be a mature male Eastern fence lizard. In which the blue beard is perfectly normal with that species. Where'd you get him from?

Also I'd advise to never hold a lizard on its back like that because most lizards lack a diaphragm that helps them to not suffocate while on their back. Otherwise If they're on their backs for too long it could cause their lungs to collapse, and causes great pressure on their spines because it's a very unnatural position for them to be in.

Phluff

Original Poster
I feel kind of dumb for not being able to tell the difference, but I am new to reptiles. I didn't know about the laying on the back, and I will never do that again.

Phluff

Original Poster
I'm also in California, so I think, after a bit of researching, it might be a western fence lizard.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Phluff":2s4fah8r said:
I feel kind of dumb for not being able to tell the difference, but I am new to reptiles. I didn't know about the laying on the back, and I will never do that again.
Its ok, We all make mistakes with our first reptiles. :)
Phluff":2s4fah8r said:
I'm also in California, so I think, after a bit of researching, it might be a western fence lizard.
ah, Yeah it probably is a western fence lizard then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom