Please welcome Dr. Bombay!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please join me in welcoming Dr. Bombay to his new home!

He's a baby Witblit from Dachiu and is 7 inches and a whopping 15 grams. He came out of the box happy and friendly- ready to explore his new world.
He chowed down on baby crickets after being here only two hours and even licked drops of water from an eye dropper held to his mouth. I offered some chopped collard greens a couple of times and while he smelled them he took no bites. He ate really well again at dinner time and hopefully got a good long rest overnight. I'm going to try greens again this morning when he is hungry and keep offering them several times a day (they dry out really quickly).
Crickets only so far but my Dubias and BSFL are arriving today and I hope to soon put crickets in the past, depends on how well he takes to the new foods.

If you want the specifics of my enclosure please see this thread Critique new enclosure please.
Be aware that the enclosure was designed for an adult and yes I have changed it up to accommodate a baby. I raised the basking temps (had to get a higher wattage bulb), eliminated any hiding spots, removed the enormous platform, and simplified it as far down to just the basics as possible.
I am aware that it is too large for a baby and have a divider fitted and ready to go in. But he is eating so well and using every inch of the big space so I am not going to divide it until there's a good reason.

So welcome Dr. Bombay with best wishes for a long happy life in our care.
103340-9900055453.jpg

103340-6771028177.jpg

103340-6857807380.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sounds like he's off to a good start =). I'm glad to hear of another healthy baby coming from Dachiu. They seem to have a very good reputation.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm not sure you need to make too many changes to accommodate a baby. Some of them enjoy having places to climb and explore so it doesn't necessarily have to be smaller or minimized. They are all a bit different though so I'd just watch his behavior closely and see how he reacts to different configurations. Over time he'll let you know what he prefers.

HoopDiddyDiddy

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2k7ewer6 said:
I'm not sure you need to make too many changes to accommodate a baby. Some of them enjoy having places to climb and explore so it doesn't necessarily have to be smaller or minimized. They are all a bit different though so I'd just watch his behavior closely and see how he reacts to different configurations. Over time he'll let you know what he prefers.
I was just trying to follow the Dachiu recommendations- if I have a problem I want to truthfully be able to tell them that I followed their instructions.
He's adjusting really well so far and is a hearty eater so I'm not too worried. Loved his Dubia lunch bugs.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Welcome Dr Bombay --- I am sadden to hear you weren't able to rescue the other one -- I am afraid of the outcome for that one --- but welcome this little one
Karrie

HoopDiddyDiddy

Original Poster
So far he's chowing down on crickets, Dubias, AND BSFL.
Not too into his salads unless I hand it to him- he ate four bites of greens that way but won't eat it by himself.
I have to be careful not to spoil him.
I'll leave the greens in until they dry out, maybe he's just not hungry yet.
Had a bit of a scare last night when I found a red mark on his belly- I thought for sure that his basking rock had burned him. When I took a better look it occurred to me that it looked like a number and sure enough it corresponded to his number on the Dachiu for sale page.
I called them to confirm that's what it was- I'm such a worrier, lol.
Sure enough that's what it was so a big sigh of relief.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Dont worry about him eating his greens --- his main diet now is bugs--- just keep offering so he gets used to them and it may take awhile before he even eats the greens --- his diet is gonna consist of those bugs for the protein just make sure your dusting w/ calcium D3 5 x per week and 2 x per week vitamins---
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
HoopDiddyDiddy":2cozzv51 said:
So far he's chowing down on crickets, Dubias, AND BSFL.
Not too into his salads unless I hand it to him- he ate four bites of greens that way but won't eat it by himself.
Thats surprising to me. Moro ate greens from day one and has every day since pretty much. I attributed it to Daichus good feeding practices with their hatchlings. But, you do have a big tough boy he probably doesn't want those sissy salads! lol.

-Brandon

HoopDiddyDiddy

Original Poster
claudiusx":1uanm60z said:
Thats surprising to me. Moro ate greens from day one and has every day since pretty much. I attributed it to Daichus good feeding practices with their hatchlings. But, you do have a big tough boy he probably doesn't want those sissy salads! lol.
He got in the dish and gobbled them yesterday- apparently he prefers curly mustard greens to collard :lol:

How old is Moro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom