Hello from Tet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just received a 7-8 weeks bearded dragon from a breeder here in Canada. I don't know the exact specifics of him but he's pretty chill. Maybe you guys can tell what kind of beardie he is?

This is my first time keeping a beardie and there are lots of things that I am anxious of.

I just got him 5 days ago, maybe the relocation stress is still there.
I've been trying to teach him drink from the water bowl. He knows the water is there but doesn't want to drink from there. I think he got spoiled because of me dropping water droplets directly to him :lol:

My concerns:
- Low appetite, maybe the relocation stress? Or not enough UVB because of the lighting I'm using? Not to mention I have a screen top that halves the UVBs(I heard).
- Only eats dusted crickets for some reason, ignores non dusted.

This is my beardie:
YnjgLPp.jpg

jEuz6qE.jpg

UcN2alL.jpg

Diet:
Dusting: Mix of Calcium without D3 + ZooMed Reptivite
Food:
Cricket (either dusted or not), Dandelion Greens, Papaya

This is my set up:
Enclosure:
40 gallon glass aquarium, cardboarded on half
Screen top with double light dome on top

Lighting:
ZooMed Repti Basking Spot Lamp (100W)
ZooMed Reptisun 10.0UVB (Compact Fluorescent)

Substrate:
Reptile Carpet

Temperature (stick on thermometer):
Basking: ~110F-115 F
Cool side: ~85-90F

Light Schedule (via day/night timer):
On: 7:00AM
Off: 9:00PM

If there's any information you need feel free to ask! Thanks guys!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Welcome to the forum and so glad you have asked -- please get rid of the compact UVB-- they are basically no good -- this is what you need and is most recommended on this forum
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia).
UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- this lighting is crucial in the overall health and behavior -- I would go w/ the full tank here soon - I know he is little but they do need the floor space - please start dusting those crickets every feeds -- he needs the calcium D3 and you dont want him developing MBD plus he needs vitamins 2 x per week as well -- can you get dubias there? I would recommend the dubias over the crickets-- they are way better for him and they are easier to keep they last longer plus they dont stink or chirp-- 1 dubia is = to 6 crickets-- you can keep them in a tote or 10 gallon aquarium and feed them carrots apples squash ---- here is a website for nutrition http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html- please if you have any more questions ask
Karrie

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Looks like an Inland Bearded Dragon, also called Central Bearded Dragon. As expected from a breeder. Since you got him from a breeder you could always ask them what the male and female pair are like.

KarrieRee is spot on with the suggestions to update the lighting and what the best UVB are. I wanted to mention you can and should be dusting all the crickets and bugs he eats. It's good he prefers the dust bugs because that's the best thing for a growing baby. Offer up bugs several times a day with dust. You can put in fresh chopped vegetables too with some dust on top so he gets used to the idea of vegetables, which can take awhile, the effort is worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom