New dragon momma and changes in appetite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosalin81

Hello, I just became a bearded dragon owner 8 days ago. I am totally in love with our little girl. She is about 18 months old and in a xterra XL front door cage. Her basking spot is at 100 and her cool in is 72. She has a UVB 10.0 right inside of her enclosure. The first few days that we had her she was eating like crazy. About day 4 I couldn't stand how dirty her home was and started cleaning it. When I picked up her basking spot about 20 roaches fell out and she feasted on about 10 of them. Two days later she was given 10 calcium dusted grasshoppers. Of course each day she is given a bowl of fresh greens (at first collard greens and now mustard greens) and one other dragon safe vegetable whether squash, green peppers, carrots once, and blueberries (probably a little too often because it's her favorite.) The first few days she would eat her salad almost gone on top of all the bugs., Now she's barely eating, just a few bites of greens a day. I'll be picking her up collard greens as she seemed to enjoy those better. I did switch out most of her decorations in her enclosure as what she had was so dirty and we are handling her lots. She seems to love the time outside of her enclosure and yesterday it was clear she was begging to come up. Should I be worried that her appetite change? She seems to poop every other day and her poop seems healthy. I just really want to know if she's okay and doing what dragons do.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there and welcome!

It's not that uncommon for them to eat well the first few days and then slow down. They go through relocation stress and sometimes it takes a few days to set it. And it can take up to a couple weeks to settle.

A big change in environment almost always triggers it. Such as moving from one person's care to another. New people, new scenery, new everything. Sometimes even rearranging the tank can cause some mild relocation stress.

As long as your husbandry is in order, which it sounds like it is, then your dragon should come around eventually. The appetite should slowly start improving day by day until it's back to normal.

Additionally it seems they get real hormonal this time of year and they get kind of a one track mind. Sounds like the wanting to explore is more pressing than the want to eat right now.

I'd give it a couple days than come back to us if no progress has been made. :)

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Sounds like a great diet and good---- what kind of the UVB ? I know you said it was a 10.0 is it the T5HO or a T8? Can you post pics of her tank? I am guessing shes off because maybe you cleaned it -- they dont like change -- if thats the case she will adjust- also its good shes eating saying that you just got her 8 days ago--- they usually go thru a relocation stress as well -- so it could be that too
Karrie

Rosalin81

Original Poster
103962-7170872977.jpg

Here's her home. I plan on changing her background soon. Since it's spring break here she's spending lots of time out of her home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom