New Memeber

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! I am recent mom of a bearded named Groot. She is around 6 months old, I bought her when she was only 1 month. She is a citrus colored, mainly orange and yellow with light blue markings. My husband, my kids, and I love her company very much! She is full of life and attitude! Thank you for accepting me to this board! I hope to learn as much as I can :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Welcome -- and yes the 75 gallon sounds wonderful-- w/ front doors I am hoping-- also the lights you have on top the tank arent doing her any good -- the UVB is that a coil? Here is some info for you on that subject---Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia).
UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months for a T8
**Note: Fluorescent light bulbs contain mercury, so you shouldn't throw away your used ReptiSuns. Take them to a facility that will dispose of them for you. Some hardware stores such as Home Depot may take your used bulbs for you.
The UVB needs to go inside the tank depending on the screen on top -- if its a fine mesh inside the tank - if its a wide screen it can go on top the T 5 is a stronger bulb and only needs changed out once a year whereas the T 8 2 times a year--- the basking light can stay on top of the tank but your UVB would need to go inside unless the screen on top is wide holes- hope this helps
Karrie

grootsmom2018

Original Poster
Thank you for the advice! The bulbs that we have inside the light are made for bearded dragons, and we change them out as soon as we notice a difference with her behavior. And the top of the tank does have big enough spaces. I did a lot of research before I bought it to find the right tank for her til we can move her into the bigger one. We did have her in the 75 gallon for the first few months. But with the move we had to find something smaller due to lack of space. But I am open to all suggestions to help her grow and be healthy.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree, you need to change the uvb bulb. The compact coils do not put out the proper amount of uvb for dragons. In fact, I'd turn it off completely until you get a proper bulb.

You should get a reptisun 10.0 t8 or the t5 ho 10.0
The Arcadia 12% is a good choice too.

Additionally, dragons need more floor space than what is currently being provided in your tank so it's good that you are going to be upgrading to a 75g.

Lastly, I believe I see a dial thermometer in your tank. Is that what you are using to measure temps?

Sorry I know it's a lot but really we just want the best for you and your dragon.

-Brandon

grootsmom2018

Original Poster
The bulb that is in her light isn't a compact. It's a normal bulb we bought at Pet Smart recommended for bearded dragons.

And it came with the tank, I usually have a normal digital one that gives exact degrees. But it's with her tank in storage till we move into our own home.

But thank you for the post. I will look into more on lighting for her when we get her moved.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Do you know what bulb it is then? If you turn it off it should have some writing on it if it's a powersun or megaray. That way we will have a better understanding of tor setup.

And is it the only bulb? If there's no writing on it if you could take a picture we could potentially identify it.

You gotta remember, petsmart employees aren't always well trained and they are hardly ever trained specifically on certain creatures. Their goal is to make a sale. Our goal here is healthy dragons :)

-Brandon.

grootsmom2018

Original Poster
The bulb we bought was recommended by a lady I know that cares for all ages of bearded dragons. I wouldn't listen to anything pet smart says just because they didn't have an idea for care.

Here is her bulb. Both basking and night flare the same company and type.

103792-2159068752.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The basking bulb is fine-- as long as it's keeping her basking spot 95-105----it's the UVB is the most concern- should be a tube and what was mentioned in my post above
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ok. That bulb is just a heat bulb it provides no uvb. You need to be providing uvb and I strongly suggest getting one of the three I recommend earlier. Providing uvb is extremely important to the health of a dragon.

Additionally you mentioned a night bulb. Is this a red or blue light? Or does it just emit heat and no light?

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I didn't see a colored bulb mentioned but if you do have one please don't use it--- it hurts their eyes and can cause long term damage- they need darkness at nite just like you and i---
Thanks karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
grootsmom2018":24ems20z said:
Both basking and night flare the same company and type.

I wouldn't say night lights hurt the eyes and cause damage, but they definitely are disruptive of a dragons natural sleep patterns.

Dragons have 4 cones in their eyes eyes where as humans only have 3. This allows them to see much more of the light spectrum than we can. So if you can see a light, a dragon can see it and most likely in a much more vivid manner. Those night time bulbs are not suitable for bearded dragons.

Once again, I'm sorry it seems like we are hounding you on things to change but it really is with the best interests of your dragon at heart. The last thing I would want is for you to get frustrated and stop asking for help. So please don't take it wrong. We are here to help :)

-Brandon

grootsmom2018

Original Poster
claudiusx":96am3qwc said:
Ok. That bulb is just a heat bulb it provides no uvb. You need to be providing uvb and I strongly suggest getting one of the three I recommend earlier. Providing uvb is extremely important to the health of a dragon.

Additionally you mentioned a night bulb. Is this a red or blue light? Or does it just emit heat and no light?

-Brandon

I just ordered a new bulb online, should be here by Wednesday. And as far as the night bulb, its purple and doesn't bother her at all. She's usually good at staying on a schedule for sleep. She's out before I even have a chance to change her bulbs over.

And the past few months her and I sit in by the window 90% of the day since I am a stay at home mom. Or were outside enjoying the nice weather we've been getting. So she's been getting natural sunlight as much as she can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom