Introducing Chip the Magic Dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

possumpeg

Greetings Beardie Gurus! I purchased a baby beardie about 3 weeks ago, and have learned sooooooooooo much from reading your forums and articles!! Thank you so very much. I finally feel like I can introduce my buddy Chip without embarrassing myself for lack of knowledge. First of all, all of our pets are named for food. In 30 years of pet ownership, I have tragically lost two beloved pets who were NOT named for food, so its a family superstition. Anyway, I can tell you I did absolutely everything wrong when I purchased Chip. :oops: Got the fancy reptile aquarium with all the fancy useless junk and only 10g tank. Didn't have a uvb light. Purchased the big fat crickets. Honestly, its a wonder the little guy has survived this long. But as I have continued to lurk on this site, I have changed just about everything, and realized how much money I wasted by not doing my research in advance. So I don't know how old he was when I got him, but he was about 6" long. He's a handsome grey and is now about 10" long. He is also more disc shaped than he was when I got him. I have him in a 100g screen cage now, with newspaper substrate and an aquarium rock, driftwood and some plastic foliage (i put that in when he started shedding) He is not opposed to being held, but he's not a fan of getting picked up. So, I try to sit next to his enclosure when I handle him which seems to make him a bit more comfortable. I have not attempted bathing him or turning him loose. I think he's still small enough to get in the floor vents and that is an adventure I can do without. :cry: I have started ordering my crickets in 3/8 size from Fluker's (which now inhabit the 10g aquarium) although I'm loosing about 1/4 of my delivery before they arrive. I am chalking that up to the colder temperatures. He gets about 7-8 dusted crickets 3xdaily and fresh kale, mustard greens, bell peppers, carrots, and blueberries-occasionally. He did have some bloating with the big crickets, but a few drops of olive oil and water on his veggies, and he is looking much better. There's a lot to having a beardie that i wasn't expecting, but when I consider all the love I give my dogs Honey and Miss Tea, cat Skittles, and bunny Snowball, he's really not that much trouble at all. Now I will see if I can figure out how to download his pictures. Please enjoy laughing at my expense.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Glad you found us when you did. A lot of people don't think to research things until something goes south and, by then it is hard to reverse the situation.
Hey.... I love the name!!!

Looking forward to Chip's pictures! And no laughing, promise! You have to get in line behind me for who is the winner of all the mistaken equipment purchases!!!!!!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes he looks like hes going to be a nice dragon-- you might want to switch to dubia roaches - you can order them on line and have them held at the post office instead of being delivered - they might last longer than the crickets- Amazon has suppliers that offer free shipping - I go thru reptilesupplies.com- however they charge for shipping but will have the post office hold them there till you go pick them up-- just a suggestion
Karrie

possumpeg

Original Poster
Kerryree, why would you suggest the roach over cricket diet? I'm very curious and in no way being snarky. I honestly want to know.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Roaches are better for them-- crickets tend to give parasites - they don't stink - easier to care for they don't chirp- and they last longer- 1 roach = 6 crickets
Karrie

possumpeg

Original Poster
Thank you! I didn't know that. I will certainly look into that. When you switch their diet do you need to do it gradually like dogs and cats, or do you just change? I've never given him anything but crickets for live prey.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You will haft to try them sometimes they don't like them depends on dragon - hiccup was started on crickets - took him to my reptile vet she suggested I switch so I did- it seemed he was starting to not like them the crickets so when I first fed him the dubias he really went for them - he was about 3 months at the time-- I know a girl that her beardie did not like them so she gave me the 10 gallon tank w/ the roaches she had bought-- hiccup has been eating them every since- I don't feed him crickets simply because of parasite issue
Karrie

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
possumpeg":ajonoaya said:
Thank you! I didn't know that. I will certainly look into that. When you switch their diet do you need to do it gradually like dogs and cats, or do you just change? I've never given him anything but crickets for live prey.
Chip should take to them like a fish to water. Just remember 1 dubia roach has the nutritional value of 5 crickets. Be sure that the roaches length does not exceed the space between your dragon's eyes and, put them in a glass bowl of some type so they don't crawl around and hide (they can't climb slick surfaces).

possumpeg

Original Poster
Thanks so much. The crickets are driving my son crazy at night. I will definitely look into them and how to keep them.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Also dubias don't bite unlike crickets- I feed hiccup one at a time- he sits at front of tank and I feed him-- I know when he's done- he usually eats about 6-8 at a time

possumpeg

Original Poster
So, Chip really likes the roaches. I purchased 50 at a local pet store. At first he just kinda watched them, but it only took a minute before he tasted the first one. That was it. I just picked up 500 3/8" crickets this morning, so he will have a mixed diet until they are gone.

He is shedding on his head - before it was just his tail - and the skin around his spikey little ears seemed to be driving him nuts, so I gave him his first bath. I was so scared. I was sure the water would totally freak him out. Much to my surprise, he got in and literally sank into the water and flattened himself for Max coverage. He just stood there for about two minutes and let me gently stroke the water into his skin. He also audibly chugged some. After another minute, he headed for the edge of the box, and I stuck my hand down. He just climbed up to my wrist tucked all his legs back and snuggled into my arm. He is now taking a nap under a wash cloth on my lap. I think he's starting to like me! ???

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
How cute!! :D If the skin gets too pesky you can try brushing him in the water w/ a soft toothbrush and that will take away the loose shed as well --
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom