Meet Glaedr- tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, Glaedr isn’t technically mine. He is my roommate’s. However my roommate DOES NOT take care of him like she should be, has done little to no research for him. He was also given to my roommate because the previous owner could not take care of him properly either. He’s much smaller (11-12 inches) than he should be at “almost a year old” whatever that means. So I’ve decided to step in and make sure he gets the proper TLC he needs. I’ve told my roommate that I would like to have him but she is reluctant. But he’s so cute and I love him so much. I’ll be posting pics later.

I plan on replacing the carpet he has now (ignore the calcium everywhere) and I've already ordered a bigger UVB for him. That will also go on the inside once I figure out how it should be mounted. His basking platform will also be upgraded.

full

full

full

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Hey, I'm also new. You also posted about the paper towel problem Glaedr had. How did that turn out?

I may have a controversial opinion, but when a person is taking the personal cares and financial duties of an animal you should keep a record. Use it as support to your roommate that you are dedicated if you want to really claim Glaedr as your own. Try to work it out with her what is in Glaedr's best long term health and wellness so the two of you can mutually decide whom may claim him.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
yes please post pics of tank and lighting etc...............
Karrie

glaedrthebeardie

Original Poster
Sorry, I've been at work all day.

DorgEndo, I don't think that was me with the paper towels, but thank you for your opinion! That's how I feel about it, obviously lol. :D

Karrie, pics have been added!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It looks like you have the dual doom lighting and maybe a UVB on top if mesh screen? What kind of UVB is it? And the dual dome?
Karrie

glaedrthebeardie

Original Poster
All but the hammock was given to my roommate when she got him. It was one of those bearded dragon kits from the pet store. He has a UV bulb and a heat bulb in the dual dome. But like I said I have already ordered replacements for his current light set up and they will be mounted inside the tank.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok good --- you will probably notice a behavior difference w/ the new lighting I am guessing--- like eating more etc........... but the UVB is critical --- also if you ever want to get rid of the carpet you can always switch to slated floor tile cut to size of tank or non adhesive shelf liner - they clean up great w/ vinegar / water in a spray bottle- but make sure if you go w/ tile you dont plan on upgrading the size of your tank cuz then you will haft to do the tile thing getting it cut etc all over again - but its cheap I paid like $13 for tile and my tank is a 120 gallon or a 4x2x2-- just some info for you -- you can get this stuff at Home Depot or your local hardware store-

Karrie

glaedrthebeardie

Original Poster
I hope so because right now he doesn't move except when he's eating or I take him out of the cage. Usually, he basks under his lamp the whole time it is on. I think that means he's not getting enough heat, UV, or both. I'm going to wait to change his substrate until my roommate decides that I can claim him as mine. I'm very hopeful she'll say yes, maybe too hopeful :roll: . Thank you for all the info! I really appreciate it.

But I have another concern regarding his size?? He's only about 11.5 inches, not sure how much he weighs, and the original owner claims she got him close to a year ago. I'm not sure what her definition of "close" is but I definitely think his growth is stunted.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He should be a lot bigger- Hiccup turned a year at the end of Jan and he is 20 inches and weighs 15.03 oz or they go by grams and he was 453 grams-- you can get a kitchen scale from Walmart around $10 -- its the UVB that he needs I am hoping he doesnt end up w/ MBD-- -- what are his basking temps running? Should be between 90-105-- him basking all day is good but he should be sitting under his UVB and w/ the fixture on top of the mesh screen he is not getting enough -
Karrie

glaedrthebeardie

Original Poster
The temp gauge under his lap says it gets to about 90 but it’s probably not the most accurate. I plan on getting a little temp gun to get a more accurate reading. But it takes a long time for it to get to 90 it seems. Do you have any tips on mounting the light inside once it’s delivered? Also I’ve heard that the bulbs need to run a full 24 hours before putting them in the tank, do you know that to be true?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Drache613 recommended some 3M Command Hooks for hanging the light fixture or you can try fishing line - string ? Maybe look for some sort of hangers at the local hardware store or Home Depot-- and I have never heard of having to run a UVB for 24 hrs before putting them into the tank -- I would say that is false! Before you do anything w/ the bulb for temp get a accurate temp w/ the temp gun first- if its not heating up you can always go w/ a higher watt bulb --
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom