New to the forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuisM23

Hi everyone, joined this forum with my son to introduce everyone to chomper our bearded dragon. Unfortunately this first little guy my son got for Xmas didn’t make it but luckily chomper is thriving and is awesome! Want suggestions as far as good feeding schedule for him and also to entice him to eat pellets as currently he loves the live stuff! Crickets are a daily item and he loves wax worms! One last question since i haven’t been on a forum in years how the heck do i upload a pic of my Beardie from an iPhone....sorry for the noob question!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Throw out the pellets! Dragons eat Live bugs till around a year old - and then after that they mainly eat vegies like mustard greens collard greens squash etc fruit -- on the feeding board there is link to a nutrition site ---- click on user image upload down load the pics - then when replying to a post click on XIMG and your pic will post - I am assuming this works for all devices -- phones computers etc...
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He is adorable-- what kind of substrate do you have in your tank? If its sand get rid of it please- its hazardous to their health-- where did you get Chomper from? If from a pet store like Petsmart or Petco please lets review his set up -- like lights basking and UVB and his tank in general -- Petsmart and Petco give bad advice and beardies do not do well w/ that type of advice-- please post pics of his tank and we can go from there -- thank you-- others can chime in on tips as well

Karrie

LuisM23

Original Poster
Ok so for substrate I’m using 3 Publix paper bags....no sand. The first little guy we got was sharkie and was from PetSmart and unfortunately he only lasted two weeks. He steadily stopped eating until he passed, i even tried force feeding chicken baby food but no luck. Our new guy is chomper and is also from PetSmart but his attitude was different from the get go. With sharkie i had the two mini domes with a 75 watt basking light and mini repti sun 10.0 uvb bulb. After sharkie passed i didn’t want to take chances so i got a repti sun 10.0 18” tube uvb with a Zilla fixture mounted inside the tank and a 75 watt basking light. As mentioned before currently feeding crickets once at night about 15-20 crickets in one sitting and in the day giving wax worms and meal worms as treats. I was attempting the pellets but i will give it up. Also dusting crickets daily with calcium and just ordered multi vitamin to give 3 times a week. He gets a bath every other day. Anything other questions or comments just let me know! Excited to be part of this forum! Please see his setup below and let me know what you think.
103198-8757824287.jpg
103198-6253566798.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
97951-1410759176.jpg
What is his basking temp? He looks little so his temps can be warmer like 105 or so they do like warmer- you can put up some background in the back of your tank that will get rid of the reflection sometimes it stresses them out if they see themselves-- give up the meal worms babies should not have meal worms they are to hard on their digestive system - super worms are also hard on their system I gave Hiccup 1 super worm every other day - horn worms are good for treats when he gets to be like 6 months or so but I would only give 1 of those as well --- he should be eating bugs 2 - 3 times per day - -- offer him greens like mustard collard squash any kind maybe a little fruit - like apple mango strawberries blueberries - he may not eat it cuz his main diet should be bugs at this point but it should be offered - Hiccup just turned a year at the end of Jan and he is just now eating more salad (vegies) now than the roaches -- speaking of I would switch your guy to dubia roaches -- like the crickets no bigger than the size between his eyes - dubias are wayyyyy better for him they dont give parasites like crickets and they are easier to keep - you can keep them in a 10 gallon aquarium feed them dubia food and for water feed apples carrots and sweet potato- 1 dubia = 6 crickets -- you can order on line thru amazon and some shippers offer free shipping- I have not ordered from amazon but gone thru a place called dubiaroaches.com you haft to pay for shipping and I have real good luck w/ these guys - they are out of Kansas - shipping to MN is usually 2-3 days they send tracking and let you know when they are out for delivery! Dubias last longer than crickets as well --- just some suggestions -- his tank looks good -- how are you taking temps? I would recommend a IR heat gun - you can get them from Walmart or Home Depot for like $10 - a probe thermometer in tank is good but not accurate - also a hydrometer for humidity is good put in the back wall middle of the tank - when you decide to change substrate you can look into getting a slated tile from Home Depot or a non adhesive shelf liner - both are cheap-- i have tile in my tank and have put paper towels under the tile to keep the urate from soaking into the tile - so I can pull tile and change out the paper towel when he makes mess! Clean tile w/ mixture of vinegar and water in a spray bottle-- simple and easy!

Karrie

LuisM23

Original Poster
Karrie,

I am using a temp gun. Cool side 75 to 80 degrees. Hot side 95-105 and he also has a hammock to move around.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok thats good -- if you need more suggestions for feeding go to the feeding board and click on nutrition it will take you to a site for feeding and what to feed how old to feed etc

Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom