New Beardie Owner - Tips Appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all! My name is Tori and I recently acquired a bearded dragon. His name is Hector and I am told he is around 2 years old. My boyfriend works at a hardware and pet store and he was brought in by a gal who did not want to take care of him anymore, so we acquired him for free. Both of us wanted a bearded dragon but were not planning on getting one so soon but we just couldn’t say no. So, we are very new to this! Google has been a huge help but I would love some info from you knowledgeable people on here.

103165-7974753552.jpg

This is Hector. He has been eating well since we got him, which is a little under a month ago. He eats greens and some squash and occasionally some fruit. He also gets live crickets once a week (I gutload them) and I make sure to sprinkle the calcium powder that came with him on his food. I have been bathing him once a week and mist him with dechlorinated water daily. The warm side of his tank is around 100F and the cool side is around 80F. He has a Reptisun 10.0 bulb, a UVB bulb, and a ceramic heater set up. He is currently in a 55 gallon tank but we are hoping to upgrade to a bigger size, especially because he has started glass surfing a couple days ago.

I noticed his beard looks a little black underneath the scales/spikes since we’ve had him. Is that normal?

103165-9143472430.jpg

I just took this picture. This was right after I misted him.

I do not really know what to look for as far as the picture of health in a bearded dragon, so I am wondering if he looks healthy. We don’t have much info on where he came from. Thank you.

Hectorthebeardie

Original Poster
Terry15":458s43qv said:
Hector looks healthy and happy, Beautiful color. Here’s a good list of nutritious veggies.
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
I keep it bookmarked on my iPhone so I can refer to it while in the grocery store. Is Hector a snuggly dragon ? Sounds like you have fallen in love with him.

Thank you for your reply, I greatly appreciate it! And he seems to be kind of snuggly. He squirms a bit when you initially pick up up but once he’s on you he doesn’t mind at all. I think he enjoys being out and about. And yes, I am quite a devoted pet parent and even though I have never had experience with a reptile, he is now part of my family. Thanks again. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom