Norbert?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashi56

Hi everyone,

I'm a new beardie owner and I'm freaking out a little bit. I've done tons of research and I have everything I need, but I still feel unprepared! And I have a few questions.

He went into his hide and started scratching (maybe digging?), is that normal? He didn't do it for very long.

Also, he just ate but it's kind of late at night here (around 7pm), do I have to keep his basking light on for 2 full hours? We got him from another family, but I'm not sure what they did.

He's 1 year old, and I'm feeding him mostly super worms and greens. How many super worms should I feed a day? How big should they be? I've read only the space between their eyes but it seems like they're all WAY too big for that!

Thanks! Happy I found this website to help me!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's normal for them to scratch and burrow when they want to sleep. Putting some fleece scraps down or a small fleece blanket will help him burrow a bit and be comfortable, but isn't necessary.

It's good to give them time to digest after a meal so it's best to provide meals earlier in the day but if he gets a late meal now and then it shouldn't be a big deal.

Since he's a year old, he is an adult (or close to it). Don't worry too much about impaction, he can easily handle larger bugs and chew them down. That said, he should start eating more veges now. Go easy on the supers and use them more as a treat. Use roaches or crickets or silk worms, black soldier fly larvae, and horn worms as staple bugs. One bug meal per day is fine for now. Over the next 6 months or so, start reducing that and try getting him to eat more veges. By about 18 months just go with one or two bug meals per week if he's eating his salads and maintaining weight. Prepare a salad for him every day. A big handful is usually enough but provide as much as he wants. It's good to rotate and offer variety but you'll find that he has some favorites and can include those regularly. Here is a good list for ideas on what to offer. http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom