Matilda the Baby Beardie!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. My name is Krystal. I recently got a bearded dragon who is about 3-4 months old. I have named her Matilda. The PetSmart I went to had about 4 dragons in a cage. She was the biggest one and she was sitting on a branch staring at me. I also loved her pattern. So, I decided to get her. I have some pics of her. If you have any questions about her, please let me know and I will try to answer them.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please post her set up lights like basking watt- UVB what it is Reptisun and size etc-- size of tank -- what advice did Pet Smart give you?

Karrie

krba201076

Original Poster
KarrieRee":slkbjzpd said:
Please post her set up lights like basking watt- UVB what it is Reptisun and size etc-- size of tank -- what advice did Pet Smart give you?

Karrie

Oh, I am not that crazy. :D I didn't go on PetSmart's advice because often they don't know what they are talking about. I did a lot of research before I got her. Right now, she is super tiny and is in a 10 gallon which will be upgraded in size in a few weeks. She has a ceramic heat emitter for the night time. For her basking and UVB, I use a mercury vapor bulb--in my research, they said that mercury vapor bulbs are great for basking temp and UVB. I will have to find the packaging to get the wattage, but I believe it is 150 watt for the mercury vapor and 100 for the ceramic heat emitter. I have a mesh wire lid on the container which I often leave off so she can get the full "basking power" of the bulb.

Her bulb is suspended on a lamp like thing. I will post a link to it.

She eats greens and crickets dusted with calcium. Occasionally she will get a little carrot or sweet potato (super small amounts). I also got a dubia colony yesterday in the mail and I have started breeding them so that I won't have to keep buying feeders. I know it takes a couple of months for the colony to get started.

I am curious about her bathing though...I babysat for an adult male dragon and he would soak in a plastic tub. She won't soak. I got her a small container for her size and put some dechlorinated water in it. She kept hoping out. I've been misting her and hoping the veggies I give her give her enough water because she won't stay still to bathe.

krba201076

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2guw17eu said:

Karrie

Also, I have been using the zoo med reptile stand for the light. https://www.chewy.com/zoo-med-reptile-lamp-stand/dp/154843?utm_id=272255476&msclkid=50a720af57011499e5b57cb0a9b33870&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping-Product%20Targets-Consumables-NB&utm_term=4585444526271342&utm_content=Reptile%20Light%20Fixtures

Here's a pic of it in her room. I apologize in advance because I just got a new phone and I am trying to get used to setting up the camera to take good pictures.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Good for you that you did alot of research before getting her- a lot of people dont and end up w/ a very sick beardie or one that has died! Not sure about the combo UVB and basking - I will let some one else weigh in on that one-- I am sure shes not eating much greens as she is so young- mine didnt eat any greens at all when I got him -- all bugs- dubias-- and glad to hear your up grading your tank - I was gonna say he / she wont last long in that --- I just upgraded my tank from a 50 gal to a 120 gal -- along w/ the UVB-- Hiccup will be a year at the end of Jan and he is just now starting to eat more vegies- I am feeding him mustard greens collard greens a little squash a little sweet potato and either some apple or some strawberries or raspberries-- he loves butter worms and horn worms- those he gets every other day --1 horn worm and 3 butter worms- he doesnt care for the super worms anymore - so I quit w/ those and have stayed w/ the butter and horn worms- he also likes nutri grubs which are high in calcium - w/ that I am sure someone else will weigh in on the lighting --

Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom