1st time owner of a bearded dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, I am a new 1st time owner of a bearded dragon named Saphira...I have been reading alot of articles about bearded dragons trying to learn as much as I can about them...I purchased my 1st bearded dragon almost 3 months ago, she was 3 months old when I got her and is a complete joy to have, I am absolutely fasinated by her...Ive read tons of stuff about beardies but some stuff is so contradicting to each other, its hard for a newbie to tell what is right and what isnt...Ive had a million questions but have found alot of answers from doing research but there is one thing I was unaware of when I bought my beardie from the breeder and that is I didnt realize that the female beardies lay un fertile eggs, my Saphira is gonna be 6 months old on nov. 10th and I am scared to death of what to do and how will I know it is time to get a lay box for her...alls I have read is that u can buy like a cat litter box or a small sterlite container and fill it will soil so when It is time u put her in there so she can lay her eggs...As a newbie and not knowing about this before I choose a female beardie, I dont know what the signs are, how old she will be, what kind of soil do I use and some say put the lay box in her terrarium and some say not too...I dont know what to do and how will I know, I dont have anyone I know who has a bearded dragon to learn from and I have had dogs all my life, I need help as I dont want her to become egg bound as I have read this can happen...any info to help me out would be awesome and greatly appreciated...When I find out how to post pics of my Saphira I will post some, have to ask my son how to do this...I am not a young person, let me just say my oldest son is 35 years old that should give u a idea at my age but I love my Saphira and dont want anything to happen to her...

Xanelic

Hatchling Member
IluvBeardedDragons18":1a2yxjoa said:
Hi everyone, I am a new 1st time owner of a bearded dragon named Saphira...I have been reading alot of articles about bearded dragons trying to learn as much as I can about them...I purchased my 1st bearded dragon almost 3 months ago, she was 3 months old when I got her and is a complete joy to have, I am absolutely fasinated by her...Ive read tons of stuff about beardies but some stuff is so contradicting to each other, its hard for a newbie to tell what is right and what isnt...Ive had a million questions but have found alot of answers from doing research but there is one thing I was unaware of when I bought my beardie from the breeder and that is I didnt realize that the female beardies lay un fertile eggs, my Saphira is gonna be 6 months old on nov. 10th and I am scared to death of what to do and how will I know it is time to get a lay box for her...alls I have read is that u can buy like a cat litter box or a small sterlite container and fill it will soil so when It is time u put her in there so she can lay her eggs...As a newbie and not knowing about this before I choose a female beardie, I dont know what the signs are, how old she will be, what kind of soil do I use and some say put the lay box in her terrarium and some say not too...I dont know what to do and how will I know, I dont have anyone I know who has a bearded dragon to learn from and I have had dogs all my life, I need help as I dont want her to become egg bound as I have read this can happen...any info to help me out would be awesome and greatly appreciated...When I find out how to post pics of my Saphira I will post some, have to ask my son how to do this...I am not a young person, let me just say my oldest son is 35 years old that should give u a idea at my age but I love my Saphira and dont want anything to happen to her...

I feel like a baby compared to you lol! A compliment though :)

Females CAN lay eggs but not all do. They usually look fat and you can feel eggs in their tummy if they have eggs. You can't totally prevent them being egg bound but you can help her not get egg bound by giving her a bit of extra calcium by giving her liquid calcium.

A lay box is easy to do actually! Fill a shoebox up with some playsand and soil made for reptiles along with a bit of water to soften it and she should just start digging!

The types of soil for reptiles are:

Tropical reptile soil

Coco husk

Eco earth

That's all I could think off at the top of my head but I recommend tropical reptile soil as its not dusty once sat in boiling water. Check on the lay box regularly but until you start feeling eggs, you shouldn't worry about her laying :)

I like putting the lay box inside (I used to " co own " blue tailed skinks with my sister in law and my my did they love their lay box!) just so that they can lay anytime they want. Sometimes they lay on YOU but it's rare

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Welcome to the wonderful world of Bearded Dragons (I mean slavery,LOL)!!! Those little stares can melt your heart!!!

Morwen

Hello

We have many things in common lol. My oldest child is 36 and this is my first dragon too and our dragons are the same age. I never even thought about the egg issue. I dont know if Drako is a male or female, so thank you for the info, I may never have known.

Morwen

full

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom