Potty training

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnikaWest

My bearded dragon Cody won't go in the bath or in her tank. Every time she poops she goes on the carpet. Sometimes, I can catch it and slip a paper towel under her, but most of the time, i'm left with a mess to clean. We just got new carpet so I desperately need her to at least learn to go in her tank or the bath. How can I train her to go in the bath or a spot of her tank? She poops at random, within 1, 2, or 3 days at random times. She hates baths. Is there any way to attract hr to a certain spot of her tank so she poops there? I really need a new spot for her to poop, otherwise my family might make me give her away. :?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
How old is she? It's tougher to train young dragons but the older ones tend to go more regularly (once every day or two) so you can train them through routine. Try putting her in an area that has an easy to clean floor (vinyl, tile, etc) and just keep her there for a while. Maybe set up a portable basking lamp for her and offer her some food. Once she goes, let her out of the area to roam around as she wants. She will eventually learn that is the routine and continue to do that (for the most part).

They do tend to like to go on carpets due to their rough surface. If she continues to go on carpet, I suggest getting some Zep carpet cleaner (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Zep-Commer...poo-Concentrate-128-oz-Carpet-Cleaner/3621320) and putting that in a spray bottle. Pick up the solid bits with paper towel, then spray the area with zep and let it sit for a few minutes. Then scrub it with a damp rag and then pull up or vacuum up the foam that appears. That does pretty well at cleaning carpet up. You can then follow up with some F10 sanitizer to sanitize the area after it has been cleaned.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
OK then as an adult dragon it should be doable. Give it some time and patience while you develop a routine and she can probably learn from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom