New member and new Beardie Mumma! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all Beardie girls and guys!

My name is Nadine and I'm from Scotland! I'm 26 and been wanting a Beardie since I was a teenager but never had the means or my own house to have one. However! Just as I'd started the search for one, a laddie I used to work with asked if I'd like to take over care of his lovely female Beardie as his Mrs was due her baby in a weeks time and he just wouldn't have the time for her, to which I very happily said yes to of course!!
1 day later and I already adore her! Her name is Lex and she's an old wee lady at the ripe age of 10. He had her since she was a hatching and she's been his little princess since so she's very much a queen now ? haha!

So this is just a wee intro to say hey to you all and if you have any hints or tips with it being my first time being a Beardie Mumma, they would be very welcomed!

Can't wait to get chatting with you all! ???
Nadine x

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Hi Nadine,

Welcome! Scotland, eh? My MIL is from Dundee originally, and my wife still has cousins in that area. Believe it or not, she was a good enough piper at one time to have been given the opportunity to be the "lone piper" on Stirling Castle! Never heard her play, but it was fun visiting her relatives and the castle (Scotland is beautiful). And though we didn't see Nessie when we traveled up a bit farther north, it's good to hear that there are still dragons there!

My wife and I are new dragon owners ourselves, and one of the biggest challenges we had was getting the light & heat right for our beardie Otto. Per advice on this site, we got the correct bulbs for UV and temp, but had to play around a bunch with the position of things so Ot would have the correct basking range + UV, but also a cooler side + a hide. I ended up borrowing a friend's temperature gun to make sure we hit that magic ~105F basking range.

If I remember correctly, Scotland is a tad... cloudy and damp :lol:, so it might also be a challenge to get humidity right. They need it low to keep from getting respiratory issues. I'm not sure if you can find a dessicant like DampRid in your local hardware store, but that's what I had to use when I ran into humidity issues. I got it in a little tub that I put in his viv, but had to make sure it was unscented and he couldn't knock it over (he tried, of course!), because it comes as little white crystals that I'm sure look like calcium to him. Anyway, hope this helps and enjoy your new friend!

-Dan

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welcome to the forum! 10 years is a good run for them and she looks great. She must have been very well cared for. I'm glad she is settling in well with you. Please let us know if you have any questions about her care.

zombiienadine

Original Poster
Aaradimian":93mt0lvh said:
Hi Nadine,

Welcome! Scotland, eh? My MIL is from Dundee originally, and my wife still has cousins in that area. Believe it or not, she was a good enough piper at one time to have been given the opportunity to be the "lone piper" on Stirling Castle! Never heard her play, but it was fun visiting her relatives and the castle (Scotland is beautiful). And though we didn't see Nessie when we traveled up a bit farther north, it's good to hear that there are still dragons there!

My wife and I are new dragon owners ourselves, and one of the biggest challenges we had was getting the light & heat right for our beardie Otto. Per advice on this site, we got the correct bulbs for UV and temp, but had to play around a bunch with the position of things so Ot would have the correct basking range + UV, but also a cooler side + a hide. I ended up borrowing a friend's temperature gun to make sure we hit that magic ~105F basking range.

If I remember correctly, Scotland is a tad... cloudy and damp :lol:, so it might also be a challenge to get humidity right. They need it low to keep from getting respiratory issues. I'm not sure if you can find a dessicant like DampRid in your local hardware store, but that's what I had to use when I ran into humidity issues. I got it in a little tub that I put in his viv, but had to make sure it was unscented and he couldn't knock it over (he tried, of course!), because it comes as little white crystals that I'm sure look like calcium to him. Anyway, hope this helps and enjoy your new friend!

-Dan

Hey Dan! Ahh, I'm not awfully far from Dundee, just a wee town across the bridge called Livingston! That's an awesome opportunity to be given at Stirling Castle! Did you get a chance to go to Edinburgh? By far the most beautiful city in Scotland!! ☺ (maybe even the UK!)

Aww love the name Otto! Where did you get that from?
Ahh, I've been quite lucky in the heat and humidity factor so far! The person who gave me her had all the up to date equipment but you are indeed correct! Due to the horrific weather Scotland can experience, it is indeed something I'll need to keep an eye on haha! Thank you very much for the advice, I've screenshotted and saved it to my photo album of hints and tips ?

zombiienadine

Original Poster
CooperDragon":15a3iwyo said:
Welcome to the forum! 10 years is a good run for them and she looks great. She must have been very well cared for. I'm glad she is settling in well with you. Please let us know if you have any questions about her care.

The previous owner loved her so much and was so sad to give her up so I know she was indeed cared for very well ?! I intend on keeping that up. Thank you so very much for your welcome CooperDragon ?

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Hey Dan! Ahh, I'm not awfully far from Dundee, just a wee town across the bridge called Livingston! That's an awesome opportunity to be given at Stirling Castle! Did you get a chance to go to Edinburgh? By far the most beautiful city in Scotland!! ☺ (maybe even the UK!)

Aww love the name Otto! Where did you get that from?
Ahh, I've been quite lucky in the heat and humidity factor so far! The person who gave me her had all the up to date equipment but you are indeed correct! Due to the horrific weather Scotland can experience, it is indeed something I'll need to keep an eye on haha! Thank you very much for the advice, I've screenshotted and saved it to my photo album of hints and tips ?

Hi Nadine,

Yes, we stayed in Edinburgh about a half km uphill from Holyrood, and my wife had stayed there a bunch of times during her years in the pipe band. It is a very lovely city, and we had a great time. Otto's actually the name of my great-grandfather (my ancestry's German), and we call the little guy Ot for short. Actually, we have taken to calling all BDs "Ots", but we're weird like that :lol:. If we get another one and he's a male, he'll be Helmut. If female, maybe Hilda :)

-Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom