New beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! Myself and my boyfriend got a bearded dragon at the weekend, we had a bit of a rocky start putting together his viv but he’s now been in there properly for 3 days with UV tube lights and heat lamp.
The temperatures are within the safe ranges (hot and cool end) and he has logs and rocks to bask on. He doesn’t seem interested in crickets but has eaten a few Calci worms and a little veg each day. He doesn’t seem very active though.
He is around 2-3 months old, and I know settling in a young one can take 1-2 weeks. We would just like some reassurance we are doing the right thing!
He is currently on pro reptile mixed desert sand, but we are currently waiting for Exo Terra sand mats to arrive as I’ve heard sand isn’t good for a young one.
We have handled a couple of times in small bursts.
Unfortunately we feed him first thing in the morning and then are at work all day so haven’t had a chance to properly monitor him yet!
He has been pooing daily though so I know this is a good sign.

If anyone could put our minds at ease I would be greatly appreciated!

The calci worms are much better than crickets anyways. No need to put calcium powder on those. Feed black ones first because they’re closer to becoming flies and are the loaded w the most calcium. Crickets suck, the calci or Phoenix worms are a much better staple bug. Roaches are also good.

For food choices this is a nice reference.
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Eating and pooping are general signs of happiness. There’s an adjustment period for everyone. You all will find your stride w time.

dezismom

Juvie Member
Welcome to the forum!:)
What is your babys name? How did you become beardie parents?
Your set up sounds right, and you and the new baby will get to know each other, in time. They tend to be all about the food at that age. They are growing so fast! Right now, concentrate on proper nutrition, (which includes dusting food with calcium/vitD powder and also a general reptile vitamin powder) lights for heat and UVB, and a safe, comfortable environment. Also, keep handling him as often as possible, which will be in short sessions due to his short attention span. I found that hand feeding also helps a lot to develope the bond and trust. When he is around six months old, he will start to be more calm and will be able to come out and spend more time on your chest, snuggle, and stay out longer. They are amazingly affectionate! And you will learn his language--he communicates very well using body language, color, facial expressions...observe him closely to learn that, and you will be surprised at how expressive they are.

There is alot to learn about caring for these wonderful creatures, but it is well worth the time and effort. This site is a great place for that..read the great information about beardie care, especially learn about UVB requirements and MBD--a metabolic bone disease that can happen to our babies, but is preventable . ..there are many beardie lovers here who have plenty of knowlege and experience to share. If you have any questions, just ask! It is very helpful to post some photos of your new baby and his vivarium, so we can give better advise, but also because we just love seeing beardies!

Welcome, and yes, you are doing just fine!

here is my big boy, DeziLu. He says, welcome to the wonderful world of bearded dragons.
82765-702137584.jpg

and our newst addition, Penny Lane, says hello!
82765-5475630392.jpg

lgracethompson94

Original Poster
Thank you everyone!
He has eaten about 12 mealworms and a little veg while we were at work and has pooped again, and shedded a little of his tail skin. He was looking out when I walked through but shot back to his safe place and has took himself off to sleep - he is nearly at his 12 hours of sunlight, do they tend to know when to sleep?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah they develop routines and will usually sleep through the night and wake up around the same time each morning (usually with the lights). Sometimes they fall asleep before lights out which is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom