My first beardy - Draco

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobakett

So I have wanted a bearded dragon most of my life. As a kid, mom said no because they eat bugs, then as an adult I was either just starting out and didn't have the money or I was living in the UP of Michigan with no nearby reptile vet so I realized it would be irresponsible. I feel like I have read everything there is and yet worry I am going to let him down.

I rehomed Draco from a friend of a friend. They say it's a male, and 2.5 years old. I already own 3 snakes and an uromastyx so I have some reptile experience. The first thing I did was upgrade his enclosure. His previous owners had him in an old 12 inch by 42 inch wood trimmed aquarium that part of the back had melted from the lights being set back on the edge trying to reach down in the tank and they were using red lights at night. He is now in a nat geo front opening tank, 18 inches by 36 inches. I have an 18 inch reptisun 10.0 tube stretching the center part of the tank and have climbs of various heights along the length to give him a wide range of options on how he wants to get his UVB. On one side of the tank I have a basking light, though I am going to get a smaller bulb this weekend since the hottest spot is 130 and he never goes to that edge. He loves to bask right about smack dab in the center of the tank, where it's about 100 degrees. Cool side is about 82-85 during the day and drops to room temp at night. I use an infrared temp gun for temps. On the other side, I just have a fluorescent standard bulb so it's cool but still gives him that bright light. His tank bottom is ceramic tile I had custom cut to fit the tank. He has a low hide on his cool side that he retires to every night when his lights click off. I have his lights on a timer from 8-8 and no heat at night since our house currently is set to 75 degrees but in the reptile room usually runs about 78 degrees due to the heat from the uromastyx enclosure and the large boa tank.

At one point he lived on sand, but then they learned better. Hes very alert and curious, though not crazy about his veggies, but he eats about 1/2 to 3/4 of the salad I give him each day. They fed him only crickets and mealworms for protein.

I cant stand crickets, so at the reptile show this weekend I am getting some dubia and also probably going to start a small colony since the boyfriend is saving up for an Ackie monitor in a few years. I bought some superworms in a pinch and he adores those but I try to be a bit stingy with them since of I understand correct those are kinda fatty. I am going to try and get a small variety of feeders at the local reptile show this weekend to let him sample and figure out what he likes.

Salad wise I have been doing mustard greens with some butternut squash and addington bits of carrot, red bell pepper, and cactus leaf on a rotation for variety. I have a list saved on my phone of all the greens and veggies/flowers that are good for both the uro and beardy since it makes life much easier to feed them the same. I will sometimes throw in just a bite or two of watermelon or cherry. I dust the greens with a little bit of reptical (pink label) calcium each day. I am picking up a multivitamin this weekend when I figured I could ask the breeders for recommendations. I also have sprinkled a little bit of bee pollen on it since it makes my uro go nuts when he is being stubborn with food and Draco seems to like it too.

He's in shed but it seeks to be slow going. I have given him a nice warm soak every 2-3 days. I was worried since he seems to have brown gunk between his scales all over his tummy, tail and legs, but after much research, it might be staining from the dark sand he used to be on. I bought some very soft baby tooth brushes and have gently brushed him while soaking in hopes that it will make it easier. He has one spot where it looks like he shed and it's super clean so I am hoping it was just subpar housing and he just needs time to clear it off. I don't see anything that looks like fungus of scale rot. His tail is stumpy, the prior owners said they didn't know what happened that made him lose the tip of his tail but from examining it, it looks like it is well healed. He has all of his toes and toenails and from everything I can tell has healthy bones.

He seems to take 1-2 bowels movements every day, usually a bit of liquid with a soft but solid stool. He is very alert and keep trying to dominate the cats by head bobbing, though when I did it back to him I got the hand wave so at least for now I'm the boss (probably not for long..every other animal in the house owns me so I suspect he will catch on soon :p )

Is there anything I am missing? I just want to be the best beardy mom I can and want to make sure I am not letting him down.

And here he is (newspaper photo is from his old crappy tank) :)
100788-4975424907.jpg
100788-4647106458.jpg

dezismom

Juvie Member
Welcome to the forum! Draco has hit the jackpot, by being adopted by you! Lucky guy!

You sound like a terrific owner,...you have done your research, and it shows. I cannot think of anything to add. It will take some time for him to adjust, and for you all to get to know each other, but you are well on the way....All beardies hate change, so he may be a bit shy at first, he may not eat as much..or, he may just adapt and be happy right away. Each one is so different. Their individuality is one of the things so great about beardies. Another great feature is they are quite emotional, and expressive! They love hugs and to be close to their owners. They need attention and love, as much as foood and water. And they are so smart! I would not have believed any of that, until I got my beloved DeziLu. What a surprise to discover that he was as loving and intelligent as any dog I have owned. I thought reptiles were just dumb beasts. Boy, was I wrong!! And now, I am completely in love with beardies. I have no experience with other reptiles, but have been told that beardies are exceptional because they are so affectionate and emotional.

The brownish stain on Draco's bottom sounds like what happens when Dezi gets poo on his bottom--it goes away with a warm bath or two. If he was in an unclean viv, Draco may have a more permanent stain, but it would eventually come off in his next shed. A shed that is in small pieces indicates a nutritional lacking, and that would not be a surprise, given the conditions you have described, poor thing. I am so happy for him, that he has been rescued! And for you, that you have begun the wonderful adventure, of knowing and loving a beardie...

Thank you, for being open to adopting/rescuing a more mature dragon..people tend to want the babies, but the older guys need love and care, too! They can live ten+ years if properly cared for. At 2-1/2 years, Draco is still a youngster. Dezi was still growing and forming his personality until +three. And he still teaches me new beardie things! You will have many years of love and joy, from your new best friend.??

Dezi says, welcome Draco!
82765-9615518124.jpg

and greetings from our new baby, Miss Penny, also a rescue...
82765-5475630392.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom