What to do about getting higher temp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jdale2571

I have a 20 gallon tank and the heat side doesn’t ever get any higher that 95 degrees. I know it’s best for it to be 100-105. At the moment it’s a 75 watt zoomed basking lamp. I was wondering is a 100 watt would be too much?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You might be OK with a 100w. You could hang it from an adjustable lamp stand and just set it a bit higher up which will adjust the temps across the tank. Are you measuring the surface temp on the basking area or are you using a thermometer reading air temp? Those can be quite different and surface temps should be used for adjusting lighting.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Try leaving the probe directly on the basking spot for 30-45 min or so and check the temp and see what you get. The surface temps might be good enough as-is.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's still a bit low. I'd try a higher wattage and maybe raise it up a bit or go to a halogen and use a lamp dimmer to fine tune the output a bit and try for 100-105.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bugluvr3
Top Bottom