New beardie colour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys on Sunday I got a baby bearded dragon from a breeder he Kindly delivered to me at no extra cost. When I got the beardie I had a good look and checked her/him for how aware it is or any illness etc.. I thought it was just bred with 2 normal colour central beardies as there was no colour on him/her apart from the standard white on head and tail with brown/grew body. But I noticed it is starting to shed as she/him is going that grey dill way. But I noticed I hint of orange on the head and a bit on the body so I contacted the breeder and asked what he bred his beardie with and he says the dad is a normal x citrus and mum a normal German giant. So just wondering if beardies take the genes from the mother or dad or do they mix?? Like is there a change my little one could be a normal citrus German giant ect

There are statistics and probabilities at play here. It’s really hard to tell until they are older what they actually will end up with.

Let’s say:
Dad 75% normal and 25% citrus
Mom 50% normal and 50% giant

So we know he 100% is homogygus for the normal gene
He is only heterozygous for citrus and giant gene, so though he carries the gene, it may not present on him, but if he were to breed with another citrus or another giant, then the probability the children would have the characteristics would be higher since they’d be homozygous for citrus or giant where as he’s only heterozygous.

DNA is a complicated thing, hopefully this makes a bit of sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom