Help Save Miss Bowser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geminixo

I joined this forum last week trying to find some insight on to how to read Bowser's blood work results while waiting for the pathologist's review. She has been eye bulging for extended periods of time which is obviously not normal.
The vet recommended that we do a heart ultrasound as she suspected that there was heart involvement. We did that today and the doctor has diagnosed Bowser with cardiomyopathy and edema which was found while doing a cloacal flush to attempt to get her to poop and take a fecal sample. Bowser has been given 2 weeks of medication to see if the symptoms improve.
As we know, vet bills can get extremely expensive, especially for exotics. We have already spent about $720 with more costs coming. Our vet does not offer any payment plans and we do not have the means to cover these costs without a heavy financial burden. We love Miss Bowser dearly and obviously do not want to see her suffer or not be able to afford treatment. I have started a gofundme and if anyone is able to help out we would be forever grateful. I am not sure if this is allowed here, I checked out the forums and did not see anything about fundraising.
https://www.gofundme.com/kjrs3f-bowser

dezismom

Juvie Member
So sorry Miss Bowser is having those difficulties...I hope she will respond to the treatment and improve quickly. Please keep us informed, and maybe post some photos...I know it is a challenge to care for any special needs animal, and will pray for you both. Maybe someone on this site will have experienced similar problems, and can offer some helpful advice.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Another thought is if your vet won't work with you on a payment plan (which is fairly unusual from what I've seen) you might try a different vet. The veterinary college in Guelph has a small animal clinic that (as far as I know) has experience with treating reptiles. They may be able to work with you for payment plan or affordable treatment. They likely have advanced diagnostic tools available as well.

Geminixo

Original Poster
CooperDragon":38w7zgdx said:
Another thought is if your vet won't work with you on a payment plan (which is fairly unusual from what I've seen) you might try a different vet. The veterinary college in Guelph has a small animal clinic that (as far as I know) has experience with treating reptiles. They may be able to work with you for payment plan or affordable treatment. They likely have advanced diagnostic tools available as well.

Unfortunately, I do not drive and this is the closest vet that will see reptiles. I would hope they would do some sort of a payment plan if there was a surgery involved that is a larger sum upfront. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Geminixo

Original Poster
dezismom":uc58mru1 said:
So sorry Miss Bowser is having those difficulties...I hope she will respond to the treatment and improve quickly. Please keep us informed, and maybe post some photos...I know it is a challenge to care for any special needs animal, and will pray for you both. Maybe someone on this site will have experienced similar problems, and can offer some helpful advice.

I can not seem to figure out how to add pictures. Thank you for your prayers. I will keep this post updated as she progresses. Hoping the medication works.

This is the link to my instagram, which has pictures of Bowser.
https://www.instagram.com/gemini_xo/

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm sorry to hear she took a bit of a downturn. Hopefully the fluids will help and she will bounce back!

jezzzikuh

I am new to beardie's and I don't know much about them.

However, I have worked at a vet clinic as a tech for going on four years (we don't see beardie's) and there is a credit card specifically for medical bills, including veterinarians. It's called Care Credit. If you get approved they have payment plans that let you pay it off in a certain amount of months with no interest depending on how much you spend. Over $200 is six months and over $500 is 12 months, i THINK. You need to go on the website and find out about the actual plans. But I would ask your veterinarian if they accept Care Credit before applying.

I don't know if this is the answer to your problems but it's definitely worth a shot and worth having just in case anyway as you can use it for your own medical expenses if you go somewhere that accepts Care Credit. We have a lot of people that use Care Credit and it's extremely useful and well worth it!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I looked at your pics on Instagram, didn't see any bulging eyes. Be careful about enemas + or anal flushing, that can be harmful to a dragon. How is she doing ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom