Greetings! (Beardie Pics Added)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peach

Hatchling Member
Hi all. This is my first post here but I've been buried in reading for the past two weeks. Our Chinese water dragon died two weeks ago so we now have a dragon-sized hole in our household. We will be bringing home a new beardie in another week. I am in Montana and breeders in my area are not close but there is a reptile expo with breeders from several places in the northwest so I'll spend the day looking and talking to the breeders :) I've learned a mind-blowing amount of info from here already and I am so glad I found this forum. Thanks to everyone!

Peach

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Here is the viv as it is right now. At this angle you can't really see the uvb bulb in the back. There are still some tags attached to things since I wasn't sure what I'd be keeping.That ramp in front will be replaced with a big piece of wood once it's ready. Note also the two residents - the kids added stuffed lizards 'for context' they said :)

100231-3664011709.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Wow lots of stuff to climb around on in there! If you can slide the UVB light over toward the basking light a bit more you may want to do that as long as it is still at least several inches above the platform. That way the highest UVB combines with the most intense heat and light from the basking bulb. You don't want it closer than about 6'' though so it's well out of reach. If the platform is too high for that you can leave it be. Just an optimization rather than a problem.

Peach

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks Cooper! The UVB as it is now goes all the way to the corner under/next to the basking light.
It's hard to tell in this picture from the angle and the black screen. Right now the UVB is 12 inches up and right over the ledge. That large rock beside it is about 14-15" down from the light to give the beardie another level and a ramp to get to the ledge.

Tomorrow we're off to the expo! Today, I am kicking back and relaxing....and removing tags :)

Peach

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi all. We are home from the expo and a good time was had by all. There were a lot of snakes in addition to the dragons, one blue-tongued skink that was a big beefy guy, tarantulas, and quote a few orchid mantises too.

We found our new beardie! He was born April 28th, so will be 4 months next week. He is a gorgeous orange (breeder has him listed as hypo trans dunner). His back looks like sprinkles :) He also has vertical blue stripes down the outside edges of his back, just like his mother. We got to see both parents, which was cool. The breeder had a couple of zeros and silkies too, which was interesting. So here he is, Sirius Bleu (Bleu for short). This pic is a little dark, so hard to see the blue. I'll add a better one tomorrow when he is awake.

100231-9968189713.jpg

Peach

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you :) He's grown a half inch since the end of July and shed head to tail. Here he is in his favorite spot:

100231-8587983171.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom