Meet Ouros

Status
Not open for further replies.

ROOMA

So first about me, Male late 20s been looking at a beardy for over a year, and with me living alone with multiple mental issues (Asperger, ADHD, Bipolar), and auto immune diseases (Celiac, Ulcerative Colitis, Multiple allergies), I decided to finally get one for a emotional support animal. I also needed a non fur animal for lease reasons and the fact I run a gluten free bakery. Big issues with mammals being able to tell I am broken and avoiding me.

He works well in this sense, I start talking he looks at me, sort of bobs his head a bit, when I starting talking and complaining while angery he senses it and raises one arm up and it calms me down...amusingly I picked the perfect guy from the tank.

I named him Ouros as he was biting his tail on the way home some I named him after Ouroboros.
https://imgur.com/gS3W3fM

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welcome to the forum! He is a nice looking little guy. They certainly do make good pets and have a calming effect. Please let us know if you have any questions about his care.

ROOMA

Original Poster
Well I do have a few issues, first the meal worm treats I got him tested positive for gluten, but whole worms fed with feeding tweezers pose little threat. The Repti Cal Herbivite I was told to dust his food in....I had to throw it away as the fine powder also tested positive and endangers my life. I am trying to keep gut loaded crickets from the pet store for him, meal worms (he eats a mix of 5-7 of them 3 times a day), minced collard greens with the calcium and vit D dust for snacking in a food bowl and water at all time in a water dish. SO far this is his diet, and I am unsure if good enough. I am thinking of mixing it up with mustard greens, turnip greens, maybe a piece of squash or a tad pit of pumpkin? They showed alright on the beardy nutritional page. Trying to keep him on a varied diet due to the inability to give him the multivitamin powder.

Set up he has a 40gal exo terra tank, a 18" Zoo Med 10.0 UV bulb center (ran during daylight hours, One side has a 150 watt red basking light with a fake rock and tree for him to get on to bask under it that is ran all the time, and a 75 watt day bulb ran during daylight hours that was needed to get the temp up to the daylight recommended temp 100 F but it sometimes gets to 103F, night with the day bulbs off it stays about (95-98F). The other side of the tank has no basking lights and left it for a cool side. I have paper towels down for the bottom, seemed the best for a young beardy and the most economical.

I can provide pictures of the tank etc. I am just concerned if everything is good enough for him.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The more variety you can provide in his diet the better. Those are all good veges to offer. I would keep them on rotation based on what looks freshest at the store and feed the leftovers to the live bugs. Roaches and crickets should be able to take care of leftover veges pretty well. You don't need to add supplement to the salads as they are already rich in nutrients. The supplements are just needed for the live bugs.

A T8 may not be a powerful enough UVB light for a tank that large. They do best between about 6-8'' while a T5 has an optimal output at around 12-14''. The UVB light should sit next to the basking light so the most intense UVB is over the basking area.

103 is just right for basking. Surface temps between about 100-110 is a good range. It will fluctuate a bit and that's OK and you can adjust based on your dragon's preferences. I wouldn't use a red light. Stick with a bright white light like a halogen flood light. The goal is to simulate natural sunlight so you want bright white light, heat, and UVB. Overnight the temps should drop. A good nighttime range is about 70-75 or so. You don't need any additional heat unless the temps in the tank drop below 65 overnight, and even then just enough to bump it to the low 70s. You don't want any visible light at night because it may disrupt their sleep. Best to use a ceramic heat emitter or heat projector bulb if needed.

ROOMA

Original Poster
Will consider the ceramic heating lamp instead of the read nocturnal basking light. I just have to wait til next month when I get my check in probably. -_- set income and this months spare has been used, and side jobs with chef jobs, baking and catering are slow this month. Thanks for the imput, I noticed he was awake and active with it on in the middle of the night when I checked so perhaps he can see it and it is like sleeping with a light on.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah its probably keeping him up. I'd just leave it off for now if you can. They tend to do fine during summer months without any additional heating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom