New Owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jezzzikuh

My best friend got two bearded dragons a couple of months ago and just found out she was pregnant and she's paranoid and getting rid of them, I offered to take one.

I'm a vet assistant at a clinic, but we only deal with dogs and cats (if anyone has any dog and cat related questions, shoot them my way! I got you!!) and so I'm lacking in knowledge on the reptile department.

I have a few questions about habitat set up, some health concerns she's been having with him (we assume it's a him right now), and the travel back home (it's a three hour car ride).

One: Ceramic heating for night time when the lights are off, is that the way to go? I know it isn't necessary in most homes but my apartment is on <60f (<15c) every night and I don't want to chance it getting too cold in his tank. (yes I like it really, really cold)

Two: What kind of recommendation do you have for all of the equipment I need? She's giving me everything she has but I'm not sure of the quality of each item, and while I want to keep it affordable, I also want to provide the best stuff I can afford. If I could have a couple recs for each item, that would be great!

Three: She expressed some concerns about him at the beginning of the week. She said he wasn't growing. She got another at the same time, they started at the same size and now one is significantly bigger than the other. She says he has an appetite and that he's alert and active. I sent her a text double checking that none of that has changed and I also asked her if he was darker than usual or had dark marks under his chin and belly and I'm just waiting on her to text back. Both of her dragons are housed in the same tank right now, if that makes a difference.

Four: The ride from my house to her's is three hours. What is the best way for me to travel him that long for it to be as safe and least stressful as possible?

I know I have a ton more questions, but it's almost 1:00 AM and I'm exhausted. If I think of anymore I will definitely ask in any responses I have! And thank you in advance for your help and expertise :D

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welcome to the forum! I'll be glad to try and answer your questions.

If the tank temps stay above 65 or so at night you don't need any heat. If they drop below that in the tank at night then a CHE is a good option or a MegaRay Heat Projector. I like these because they don't get so hot to the touch but still produce plenty of heat. You don't usually need much power. Just enough to bump the tank temps into the low 70s overnight.

Prioritize a high quality UVB light in your budget. It's quite important and often skimped on. I suggest this combo set (fixture, reflector, and bulb), it's excellent. http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/ It should sit 12-14'' above the main basking area for best results. If you can give me a rundown or photos of the equipment that is coming with him I can help you pick out what to keep and what to replace.

It does make a difference that they are in the same tank. One is likely dominating the other by monopolizing resources like food and good basking spots. It's important to keep them separated. Once the smaller one is on his own and is not intimidated and has access to what he needs, he should start to thrive.

Three hours should be no big deal. I suggest getting a small pet carrier he can ride in. Even a large shoebox with a towel at the bottom will do the trick though. I have this one https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EW2WKZU/ I like it a lot because it has good ventilation, is easy to carry, has reasonable space, and has clips to attach it to a seatbelt when in the car.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and I'll be happy to help.

jezzzikuh

Original Poster
Thank you so much for responding. I know I wrote a book there, but I’ve never had a reptile and I’m new to it and I want to be sure I can provide the best care possible.

Right now she JUST text me and said he’s not eating and he’s leghargic. She “doesn’t think he’s going to make it” and I’m not there to see to him. Her boyfriend isn’t helpful with pets and while she tries her hardest, she can’t afford veterinary care. I don’t know what to do from three hours away. I’ve asked her what the temperature in the tank is and she hasn’t responded. I even sent her a link to possible causes for lethargy and loss of appetite, but again, no response yet. We’ve decided that if he doesn’t make it we’re still going to get one. It’s just really heart breaking right now and I feel completely helpless.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's certainly tough when you can't do much firsthand. It's probably best for her to isolate him and keep him warm. Offer some water by dripping it on his nose. If he licks at the water it's a good sign. If he refuses the water there isn't much else to do if the situation is critical except try to make him comfortable.

jezzzikuh

Original Poster
Unfortunately, he passed away... we're planning on getting one in a few weeks so I'll probably still have questions and concerns. It's just incredibly sad, we was hoping to save him, he deserved to be saved.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Poor guy. He did deserve to be saved. You did save him. It was just too late to heal him by the time he came to you unfortunately =(.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom